Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Hi Jan,
It is probably best to post this in the David Stevenson forum.
Essentially you alert bids which are not natural. You alert doubles of a suit bid unless they are for takeout. You alert doubles of no trump bids unless they are for penalties. You do not alert calls above 3NT unless they are on the first round of bidding.
Announcements are a very specific form of alert and only occur in very particular cases: a 1NT or 2NT opening and Stayman or red suit transfers over 1NT or 2NT openings.
But David can expand on this far better than I can.

This was a strange one. We comfortably bid and made 6H and I showed my my lack of predictive skills when I said “should be a flat board”. Our methods in this partnership are very straight forward: our 2NT response showed a fit and 16+ points (we would bid 3NT with 15 or fewer and no shortage).
The field included some strong pairs. Most of them were playing a Jacoby 2NT, but as your comments show, this should still get you to the slam. Brian’s comment is spot on: “This isn’t a minimum hand at all”. But no one seemed to agree!
I’m not sure what partner would do over 3C. But maybe 3H – which Bernard describes as “I don’t fit with your shortage, but I am non-minimum”.
What now?
Yes, it has always been standard to lead the king from KQJx or KQ10x in no trumps, but I have noticed more players leading the king from KQxx. I wondered whether this was a result of reading the Bird and Anthias book on no trump leads?
Hi John,
Fit-showing Jumps can be useful in various situations. For example the 2S bid would be a fit-showing bid in the uncontested auction:
Pass-(Pass)-1D-(Pass); 2S
In this auction, the opener passed and then jumped to 2S, so cannot have opening points and 9-11 seems about right. But you were asking about a jump response in a new suit after an intervening takeout double, maybe:
1D-(Dbl)-2S
Responder is not a passed hand and I would suggest “9 or more points” would be more accurate as there is no reason for an upper limit and I have never come across anyone who plays an upper limit to the range in this situation.

Partner competed with five hearts. I speculated that she might have passed five clubs with the ace of clubs, but she argued that the pass was forcing. Like you, I was not convinced.
Five clubs was made at the other table and we can beat that score if I can scrape together nine tricks. But I guessed to finesse in clubs, reasoning that the heart king was most likely to sit with East after the pre-empt, so was down three for -500.
Of course the best result is to pass out three clubs!

South actually led the two of hearts. I now had time to take the spade finesse and score all 13 tricks. It was only in the post mortem that North claimed that she would have led the king of hearts with South’s holding and I thought it was an interesting theoretical question which line to take.
It was a SIM pairs and 12% of the field nationally were bidding and making slam – you will never beat them. You would score 76% for +720, 52% for +690 and only 17% for +600. But as you correctly identify, South would usually hold KQ10 for the lead of the king, so the field are more likely to lead the two of hearts if they choose a heart.
I tend to agree with idea that it would be silly to go down in a cold contract and just making 9 will beat the pairs in a slam if the cards are lying badly. I was wondering about the idea of playing a club to the ace at trick two and immediately finessing in clubs. Would South always continue hearts?
Thanks for the thoughtful response Brian 🙂
Intriguing tease Brian!
I agree with the idea that 2NT allows partner to show additional shape at a lower level and tend to feel that it should be the normal default since we are forced to game anyway. But this isn’t always compatible with the idea that 3NT shows extras, which also makes sense (I’m not convinced that the Principle of Fast Arrival should apply in NT).
“clearly you may have passed with a bad 12”
I think that I passed with a 12-count once. Back in 1988 or 1989 I think … 🙂
The usual range for 1NT in the pass-out seat is 11-14, some more aggressive players might even have 10-14 as the range. Once you have passed, the 1NT bid show 11 Points (or maybe 10). At this vulnerability the bid has a good chance of succeeding even if you can’t make seven tricks – either by being a cheap sacrifice or by pushing the opponent’s up a level.
Note that the 11-14 range is borrowing a little bit more than a king!
This post is a little confusing, but I think that you are asking about the strength of a sequence such as 1H-1NT: 2NT? And you are using the strength of a sequence such as 1H-1S; 2NT as a guideline? Whilst It might be useful as a memory guide, I don’t think that these sequences are necessarily related.
For what it’s worth, I would play the following:
1H-1NT-Pass: balanced or semi-balanced with 16 or fewer points at pairs
1H-1NT-2NT: balanced or semi balanced 17 or 18 at pairs
1H-1NT-3NT: balanced or semi balanced 19 (maybe 20) at pairs
At teams, I will do the same thing if non-vulnerable, but if I am vulnerable I will often raise to 2NT with 16 and raise to 3NT with 18. (Note that all of these ranges are assessed after full evaluation adjustments).
I wasn’t suggesting that if responder bids 2C then later bids 2NT it would be forcing. I was saying that the sequence 1S-2C; 2NT would be forcing and I’m less sanguine that 3NT or 5C would be comfortable opposite a typical balanced 15-count.
I agree that there are various possible auctions and many would respond 2C. But for me, the North hand would be an attractive dummy in either a spade or heart contract, with seven working points and a useful looking singleton.
Hi John,
Yes, I agree with this. With a singleton in the suit opened and a doubleton in the second suit you would have no tolerance for opener’s suits. Then of course it would be right to raise the level of the bidding and bid your own suit. This might even be a six-card suit, maybe:
♠4 ♥74 ♦K965 ♣QJ9876
But I cannot construct a hand where I would bid 3♣, but then raise if opener rebids the spades. These actions seem to me to be inconsistent.
There is something called the “Rule of 14” – you add the number of cards in the suit to the number of points and if the answer is 14 or more you can respond at the two level. To be honest, it is relatively new to me and when I first heard of it I was not keen. It goes against all of the trends in modern bidding.
The North hand would meet this test (7 clubs + 7 points), but you are very likely to create a problem for yourself if you respond 2C. Imagine a different South hand and the bidding starting 1S-2C; 2NT which is forcing to game in modern Acol. You might bid 3C now, but this is still forcing and your partner is likely to bid 3NT next. You have arrived in 3NT on perhaps a combined 22 HCPs and this will have little chance unless your partner can establish the clubs and has the entries to enjoy them. But maybe you rescue yourself again to 4C (still technically forcing) or 5C? Are you likely to make 11 tricks opposite a balanced 15 count?
It isn’t my style at all Reg. But older Acol texts would recommend 2C then 3C and suggest that this sequence might be based on shape rather than high-card points.
The problem with 2C is that a 2NT rebid is forcing to game in the modern world.
-
AuthorPosts
174 comments
Anona
It was a wonderful week. Hope the 2nd week goes as well, and that you have someone to take my place on the dance floor!!!!!!
Robin and Hilary
Hope you are both well and that cruise two is a great as the first. Best wishes, Robin and Hilary
Andrea Powell
Good luck Bernard and especially Helen. Thinking of you.
Dale Carlton
Best wishes to both of you and congratulations, now have the happiest of times.
Dale and Sheila
Anona
Congratulations to you all!!
Regards
Anona and Clive Edwards
Chris Bonser
Dear Bernard,
Many congratulations to Helen and yourself on the birth of a future bridge champion. Delighted to hear all are doing well. Will buy you a celebratory drink or two at the Richmond-Denham event in January. In the meantime love and best wishes to all the Magee’s!
Chris Bonser
Robin and Hilary
Congratulations too from Hilary and Robin!
Andrea Powell
Many congratulations. Best wishes Stan and Andrea xxx
Alison Deare
Congratulations!
Geoff Hall
Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant for you two to bring him. WHat a good little man.
Looking forward to next year at the Grove.
Geoff Hall
Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant to meet him. What a good little man.
Looking forward to next year at the Grove.
Geoff Hall
Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant to meet him. What a good little man.
I agree with your comments about the hotel staff annd the playlist – it was fabulous.
Looking forward to next year at the Grove.
Shirley Tamblyn
Looking more like a champion bridge player every day :0
JILL Blanchard
Just found your blog Bernard. Fabulous Bridge Break with you at The Two Bridges Hotel. Wonderful to see you again. So many happy memories especially for us our five consecutive years at The Royal Kenz, Tunisia. You are an amazing teacher and now a firm friend. Thank you so much for everything you do to encourage all your clients. Love you Bernard ! JILL and John Blanchard. Look forward to meeting Helen and baby Alfred when you are next in Devon
Judith Thornton
Hi Bernard -don’t worry you will probably get some rest when Alfie is about. 5 (but it will fly). Best wishes Judith
Sally
Goodness how Alfie has grown. Helen and he are as brown as berries. A wonderful memory! With love, Sally
Jo
He is adorable!!!
Monica Lyness
Just returned from the wonderful trip on the Danube. Bernard you are the most fantastic host, Alfie is a delightful child and can see that he brings you great joy.
Although we were unable to sail beyond Vienna, all the staff on board were cheerful and welcoming.
We were lucky to have such good weather with plenty of sunshine.
Judith Thornton
Happy birthday Alfie.
You look amazing in your birthday suit.
Valerie
Great idea – lovely place!
Valerie Gibson
Looking forward to it. Good luck!
Tim Evans
Hi
I found the tutorial very useful – but you did not make any specific reference to vulnerability – the -50 pts may indeed be a good result – but not so much if you are vulnerable and a doubled call not making when ops have a part score in a minor on – may not be such a good result!
Tim
Val Duffell
I really enjoyed seeing the programme and am looking forward to Wednesday
Robert Lewis
I am thoroughly enjoying the lessons! You are doing really well – it is new for us all!
Margaret Lewis
Sent from my iPhone
trainjoan
It seemed fine to me, Bernard. You admitted that it was all new, no problem.
Anne
Looking forward to the third one…
Elaine Gilbert
Can’t find today’s video (3rd Apr)
Tuppence
Hi. Just to say that WhatsApp will allow four of you to talk together. So one of us phones the other three and we can all chat together when playing. It very sociable and probably much more simple than Zoom. (Remember to put the phone on speaker so you don’t have to hold it while playing!
Francine Gee
Great session today, 3rd April. Thanks again. Looking forward to normal times returning, and more bridge holidays…
Linda Norman
We are enjoying your seminars. We have used BBO with friends on line and have created a whatsap group so that 4 of us at a time can have a voice call so can chat and feel connected. We have not used the video option as it put too much pressure on the bandwidth (and we do know what we look like! 🙂 )
Ruth and Charlie
Hi Bernard. We are really enjoying your live broadcasts. Could Helen consider adding a music track to the build-up? (Check Google for free downloads). It would be great to have a theme tune to get us warmed up).
Peter Warburton
Thank you for your great videos. Regarding suggestions, how about finessing including building the likelihood of opponents distribution.
Lesley Titchmarsh
How do I get to see you play on BBO tonight?
LEONARD HONEY
Please advise how to log into your live tutorial today Monday 6 April- thanks
Lindsay Stewart
Hi Bernard
You are fast becoming the highlight of my Mon,Wed and Fri! I’m a complete dinosaur when it comes to playing online but I’d love to be able to respond live when you ask questions and I’m no idea how to be able to do this- do I need to join something?
I’d be very grateful for some very simple instructions.
francinewinch
I usually pick up the video in the late afternoon after gardening. Thanks so much for this. Looking forward to seeing you in person later this year!
P.S. my name is Francine Gee
trainjoan
Sweet. How is your Dad? Send my best wishes. *— * *Joan – * – Lipkin-Edwards Tel 0208 4550029 Mob: 07733 005766 Charity fund-raising. Computer,Internet and mobile ‘phone training/help for ‘older’ people http://www.lipkin.co.uk
randhl
Very smart. I’m also due a trim! (Robin)
randhl
The Christmas Markets Cruise was most enjoyable. We have great memories of it. Robin and Hilary
randhl
Great! As long as he’s happy I say. I’ve had mine trimmed too, but there’s less than he has for sure!
Stay well.
Robin and Hilary
Jean Gill
Bernard,
He is just gorgeous. What a happy little boy and such a lovely smile. It’s so his natural self and not put on for the camera. What joy he holds for you. Wonder if he will like bridge??!!
Best wishes to all of you and thank you for the bridge transmissions. They are so helpful.
Jean Gill
Daphne Ashe
I think both your haircuts look good – my husband has cut mine so I look a bit odd myself! Best wishes to you all and thanks for the great bridge lessons.
Otto Meth-Cohn
Enjoying your Mon/Wed/Fri Seminars very much. We quite agree it’s time you charged us. We’d hate to see you starve!
June Williams
Oooh so cute, he’s gorgeous.
June
Helen McNeil
Gorgeous photo!
Ingrid Boyd
I am pleased to say I managed to register as a Founder Member this morning without any problems. A very exciting week for you Bernard – launching the Founder membership of your new venture, as well as celebrating your 50th birthday. I hope you have a wonderful birthday on Wednesday and I look forward to ‘seeing’ you for the 11 am seminar. I think it is lovely that you are giving a seminar on 3rd June and sharing your birthday with your numerous Bridge ‘groupies’ . Wishing you the VERY best of luck with your new venture – I am sure it will be a great success. best wishes Ingrid
Alison Grant
Very interested in the new Bernard Magee Bridge website; enjoyed your promotion of it this morning… but please can you learn the difference between “practice” the noun and “practise” the verb?
Alison (Recently retired languages’ teacher but relatively new Bridge player, with only 6 years experience)
P.S. Have followed all the 28 lockdown seminars and love your teaching style!
Lesley Reuben
He looks just like you!
leigh Martin
I am hoping to learn bridge and will comment on graphics if that is ok. I am afraid I am a visual audio and kinesthetic learner (vak) so the last part doesn’t come into it but the graphics need to be a bit more user friendly So visually you are great to watch and listen to. However I need some help on positional layout and interaction. Maybe a cream background and different font to start with.
I hope this helps.
Moira Shepherd
Thanks for bidding the hand I sent you last week!
Moira
Julie De Vos
Looks gorgeous!!!
Lisbeth Diaper
Looks a happy little boy.
Thank you so much for the bridge seminars you have been providing during lockdown – they are very much appreciated.
Linda Parry
First time I have seenyour beautiful boy! He must have inherited the blond curls from your wife!
Howeber, as the saying goes, he hasyour eyes… and your smile…
LindaP
Linda Parry
I fear the World we all knew is lost to us but, at least your little one knew some of it and, hopefully, will, like all of us as children, will remember the magical bits he does remember.
june baguley
why regrets? Hopefully we can now have an opportunity to make the world a healthier calmer place for young ones like Alfie to grow into!
doreen higgins
A dear little boy. Enjoy every minute, the time passes so quickly Doreen Higgins
reuben lewis
Beautiful photo. Such a great smile
Keep well
Reuben
Irene Button
Really enjoying sessions on UTube many thanks
Elizabeth Holmes
Great siminars – thank you so much. Enjoy your special day – I wish I was that young again!
Otto Meth-Cohn
Here, any paddling pool might have ice on it today. 12 degrees and north wind. Yesterday was 22!
Bernard Magee
Hope you have been doing some good sketches in the previous weather!
Iris Pendergast
So so sorry that we are not in Almeria….even if the holiday is moved to another date..it will of course not be for your birthday!!!
I was also booked for Croatia also a moved date!!! and the cruise with Fred Olsen to the American coastline in October
which as yet I have no info… but hopefully soon.
I like the idea that you have now come up with. Our locale Bridge Club (Meridian East Grinstead) is also setting up next week
as an on line bridge club. Many have been playing on line with BBO I will just have to get used to it!!! Not so good at that.
very best wishes
Iris Pendergast
Ian Kemp
“Painting the house blue” rather than “painting the town red”!
Pauline Clift
What a gorgeous little lad and like his dad all smiles.
Susan Burke
Have really enjoyed the UTube videos but it never felt right to be getting all this valuable instruction for free. I am delighted to be able to show my gratitude by supporting your new website and look forward to improving my bridge even more. Thank you Bernard Magee for the past 10 weeks of gold dust! It has kept the boredom during the lockdown at bay for both me and my husband.
Dr James Agnew
Happy 50th birthday Bernard. Really enjoying your presentations. I have learned so much from them.
Ann Agnew
Are we related?
James Agnew
Hello Ann,
Just after seeing your query asking if we are related. I live in Limavady, N. Ireland. Whereabouts in the UK do you live?
Rgds,
James
Angela J Hood
Really enjoying all your U Tube events and seen the all but rather late in viewing today – a shame as late in sending a message. Anyway just want to wish you a belated Happy 50th and I hope the rest of your day went perfectly.
Very best wishes
Angela
Gerald Woods
The Seminars are very interesting and well worth visiting. Thanks.
janet nicolas
I’m enjoying your webinars very much indeed and have signed up as a founder member of the new venture. Wishing you every success and myself becoming a better bridge player
Ruth Duncan
Thanks for all the Seminars during lockdown. You explain things so well.
Annabel Nelms
Being non-literate on the computer, I had a lot of difficulty actually signing in – thought you were going to exclude me before I managed it. But things can only get better! That’s why I am “Tryer”.
Justine Davies
Loving the seminars Bernard, thank you so much. Belated Happy Birthday too!
Lesley Webb
Toddlers love to be creative when using paint and Alfie is fulfilling the brief! ????????????
Mauricette Proud
Thank you for all the previous seminars. I have saved all of them and keep referring to various. How long will they be available for access ? Forever I hope.
Many thanks,
Pitty (Maria Piedad) Gent
One good thing about lockdown Bernard, I have revisited forgotten bridge themes with you in your excellent online seminars. Thank you so much for your very enjoyable programmes and I look forward to your new venture. All the very best,
Pitty
angela Deane
enjoying online seminars. It would be really useful if you could put a short comment on each recording as to the contents. It would be so much easier than scrolling through every recording to find eg leads or overcalling.
Bridget Tanner
Lovely photo. Treasure these years.
Many thanks for your seminars. We both really enjoyed them.
Best Wishes, B
Lillian Sandra Renton
Hello Bernard -Tuesday and I think I have managed to log in as a founder member today.
Sandra Renton.
Will have to wait and see whether Majorca is on for next March as I have re-signed up for it,
Regards to Alfie – hope he is behaving himself!
Susan Anderson
I have learnt so much from your thrice weekly teach-ins and my card play is improving which is great! Thank you.
Pat Gregory-Carlton
Have now become a founder member, and delighted to do so as a thank you for all you’ve done for us during lock-down. I’ve been really enjoying your YouTube lessons, which have given me structure to my week. Looking forward to a founder member’s drinks party on board Balmoral…but not sure which year that will be!!!
Torill Evans
We have so enjoyed your free bridge sessions , and now look forward to continuing
As paid up members . Hope to improve our bridge with you help .
Thank you so much .
mrs sheila white
I am booked on the Fred Olsen cruise at the end of August. If it is cancelled are there any 2021 cruises when Bernard will be hosting the bridge?
thank you.
Sheila White
Patricia Halligan
I made a donation to your Just Giving page for Cancer Research as I have been very grateful for the free seminars you have been doing during lockdown. Am very pleased to now become a Founder Member of your new venture and wish you well in it. Looking forward to becoming a better bridge player!
Helene Walton
Gorgeous x
Tuppence Hale
Thank you for the YouTube sessions. So useful
Linda Brown
Thank you so much for your tutorials, just brilliant and I love to hear your comments about other matters too. Your birthday is the day after mine and I was celebrating a special birthday too, except mine was a couple of decades older!
Ann Agnew
I don’t know what I would have done without your weekly seminars. Being in lockdown for 13 weeks you made my time more bearable.
Thank you so much for giving up your time to do this, I really believe my Bridge has improved.
Looking forward to the new website and wish you the best of luck.
Anne Humphrey
I really do endorse the favourable comments already made. The seminars have been a lifeline ion these lockdown times.
I live on my own so it is lovely to have Bernard ‘talking’ to me !!
Sally M Piber
I have enjoyed every one of your lockdown sessions which have helped to keep me sane and give me focus on at least three days a week. Thank you so much.
Can I suggest a clean paintbrush and a pail of water on the patio outside. My young children spent hours in the sunshine painting everywhere with no mishaps. Happy days – just not easy at the time!! All good wishes for the future, Sally Piber
Maggie Burns
He looks a lovely little boy
Penny Mitchell
Hi Bernard
I’ve enjoyed the seminars. So has Barry!
Thanks for helping to make the lockdown more interesting. Look forward to the website and, fingers crossed, more cruises and bridge weekends.
Penny
Vera Schofield
Alfie looks adorable. Don’t suppose you cut his hair!!!!
Bridge sessions really good and helpful. Looking forward to the 22nd June.
Regards Vera
Anne Humphrey
It is fun while it lasts, and they grow up so quickly. But I am happy that those days are well behind me!
Except of course it is now grandchildren – but even they are past that stage (DG).
Pamela Rawlings
Boys will be boys imagine having two like Alfie.Its a wonder I’m still sane. Of course that is debatable!!!
Berwyn Aston
Looking forward to all the fun.
Alfie is so cute, love the picture.
Berwyn
Mrs Julia Perry
Sorry to say I was well into lock-down with a health problem and missed 3/6. Hope I am registered and I look forward to more information when it is ready.
Valerie Sullivan
Have really enjoyed the seminars. Great style, relaxed and friendly. Looking forward to membership.
Geoff Seal
Enjoy the teams. Very informative.
ANN JOHNSON
Looking forward to sharing your new venture has a Founder Member.seminars ,set hands.BBO events and more. Really enjoyed the UTube seminars thank you!
GOOD LUCK Ann Johnson {mia}
LJS Shaw
Fantastic seminars. So enjoyable and I’ve learned so much. Thank you Bernard. Wishing you all the very best with your new website.
rosemarie eldridge
Have enjoyed all the seminars and look forward to future bridge on your website
Maggie Morgan
Thanks for all the utube sessions. As always clear and informative. Helping to keep me sane!
Graham Roberts
Vowed to register today 24th June- four years to the day when the result of the UK Referendum was announced.
Your expletives were far more exciting as we disembarked the Aegean Odyssey at Honfleur than that uttered
a week last Friday during your Teams match.
Enjoying you seminars,
Best wishes,
Graham.
Beryl Mullins
I know the feeling. I hope it didn’t stain the wood floor!
June Dixon
What an intense blue, lovely!
Josie Heayns
Thank you so much for all the seminars , they were excellent. Also enjoyed the Friday live sessions with the commentary on how to call and play the hands. Looking forward to the new venture.
Elspeth Julian
Good luck with your new venture Bernard! I knew you wouldn’t let lockdown get the better of you!
Marian Walmsley
Pretty good job x
GerryArty
It will be nice when it’s finished ! 🙂
GerryArty
Alfie, is already inventing new conventions for us to learn !
Ann Agnew
He’s so cute
Fran Bennie
I think I can see your Dad as a wee boy, when I look at Alfie !
jUNE fERRE
What a cute little boy Alfie is – great smile. I think he looks like Mr. Bridge – he may not thank me for that – lol
June Ferre
janet nicolas
Congratulations. Sorry I’m a day late. I’m very curious as to what part of the country you guys live in. Bernard so frequently refers to the weather and I wonder where abouts you are. No need to be too precise – just a nod to the area.
Berlie
Happy Anniversary & congratulations: although a day late. I hope you’ve had some time to relax and celebrate.
Berlie x
Susan Stephens
Can you please give me the ingredients for the Italian Chickpea Flatbread? I have Coeliac Disease so I am always looking for easy GF recipes.
I have really enjoyed your lessons and especially your discussions during the teams on a Friday. Here in NZ the bridge clubs are all open again and tournaments started several weeks ago and they have had a great turnout . People love to be back playing face to face.
Judy McLellan
I have two young grandsons, one looks to be about Alfie’s age. “Toys all over the place”, so familiar and repeated in every home in the land where there are young children! Lovely.
Margaret Carrington
Love seeing Alfie, & parents of course. Thankyou
Judith Morison
I at last tried this flatbread. I talked to you on BBO and ended that I would. I daren't go in shops yet and local store has very limited GF but I finally got someone to get me chick pea flour (which I have not used before). I don't think I did it right – do you use an electric whisk or a wooden spoon by hand? Also I hadn't a big enough metal pie tin so used a pyrex one. It ended up soggy but it was vaguely edible. I will have another try
Bernard Magee
I hand whisk – then leave for 3 or 4 hours. If a bit soggy – it probably needs a little longer in the oven.
reuben lewis
Unfortunately not able to view the picture on my Imac?
Jean Newell
I cannot see the photos on my iPad either
Jean Newell
Sue Leech
We always told our children that the sound of the ice cream van meant that he’d run out! Was that too mean?!
Elizabeth Clarke
BlackBerry jam or sloe gin
Bernard Magee
We made sloe gin about 4 years ago, but not this time and not with bridge books!
Ruth Gilmore
are you pressing meat, something like an ox tongue (apologies to vegetarians, but meat eaters have been known to do this….) ?
GerryArty
Paper Mache
Bernard Magee
It is edible
Linda Brown
Courgette or cucumber relish
Bernard Magee
not a bad guess
Pauline Wood
Is it a summer pudding, but an autumn version made with blackberries?
Lesley Denyer Smith
I forgive the use of the book and we think it's something for Christmas. Pud maybe?
Graham Shotton
Christmas pudding
Vera Schofield
Some kind of food dish!!!! Could it be Popcorn?
Linda Parry
Can't be hot can it… not with precious
books on top?
Elizabeth Clarke
Essential oils
Elizabeth Clarke
Nettle fertaliser
Elizabeth Clarke
Oops fertiliser
Mary Simm
courgette cake
Deirdre Kenroy
A game terrine with pheasant or venison?
Sean Haffey
Normally I would say Green Eggs and Ham but since it's autumn perhaps Brown Eggs and Ham.
Choice of book depends on size of pan. For example, my copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare wouldn't fit but Three Men in a Boat lacks sufficient mass. Card Play Technique is physically and mentally a weighty tome and probably deserves reading once a year.
Maria Lyons
Is it a summer pudding?
Diane Wells
Lovely photos.Have you made a press for a flowerundefinedleaf?
Bernard Magee
Not a press, but Alfie and Mummy have got a press for the fig leaves which have just started falling.
Bill Keast
Some form of pate?
Barbara Ide
a summer pudding
Ken Smith
blackberry wine?
Carola Selwyn
Sauerkraut?
Bernard Magee
Congratulations Carola
Elizabeth May
Summer pudding?
Elizabeth May
Kimchee
Elizabeth May
Kimchee is form of sauerkraut
catherine preston
summer pudding
Vera Schofield
Well done Carola
Jennifer Kendrick
Our guess is a tongue, Richard frequently tells me his Mum used to make it………so I have never tried!!
Joan BUSFIELD
Thank you Alfie for sharing your watermelon at breakfast. My it was cold on the cruise but we saw so many exciting things. Playing bridge with Bernard was ruined by having a no cards of value all night. Alll those weeks floating around in the ocean with Mr Bridge going nowhere was so memorable. Maybe we should have a photo album of out McGee family and bridge fans?
Joanie Busfield
Patricia Sparkes
User error I expect, but I could not see the recipe!
Bernard Magee
The recipe is in the forum
Beryl
Alfie is so delightful. I love his hair!
Brenda Simm
A friend of mine told me recently that when she was a child her parents used to tell her that when the ice cream man sounded his bell, he had already sold all of his ice cream! How mean is that?
Cherry Simmonds
Lovely ! He's a very lucky little boy
Kenneth Haines
These pictures really cheered me up in this awful year (and it's winter too).
Thanks for all your efforts Bernard – your Youtube Seminars got us through the lockdown and kept us sane (ish).
doreen higgins
Thank you for the pictures. Lovely family. I have 2 sons, grown up now, and 2 wonderful grandsons. What blessings
Beryl
Its a real joy to follow Alfie's progress with lovely family photos. How can a 2 years and 12 months old boy not make a mess!
Vera Schofield
Happy Birthday Alfie you are a little darling. I love your birthday cake did Mummy make it or Daddy? You seem to have plenty of toys to keep you occupied. I also love the lovely curls in your hair.
Happy Christmas and all the very best for the New Year 2021 to Bernard, Helen, Alfie and all the helpers.
Vera
Robin Levett
Spring is on the way, good to see you back blogging. I'm inspired to pump up my tyres now! Robin (and Hilary)
Felicity Thomson
Lovely pictures
Sylvia Parsons
Looks great fun! Alfie is a real ‘outside boy’ xx
Carol Fisher
Great fun Bernard. We don't often have as much snow as this. Brings back happy memories with my own children and grandchildren
Buckley
Where / How do I find the recipe for the bread please?
Bernard Magee
gluten free forum
Carol Fisher
Lovely picture.