Opens in a new tab
BMB LOGO HEADER

Brian Davies

 - 

Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Bidding, Opening lead #70600
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      “if there is a way to set the vulnerability in the BBO hand editor I have not found it.”

      Have a look at: https://www.bridgebase.com/tools/hvdoc.html

      There is a parameter for setting the vulnerability.

      in reply to: Bidding, Opening lead #70593
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        I would make a 2H weak jump overcall at my first turn. Yes, we are vulnerable, but I have three of the top five hearts and it is a bidders game. Most opponents won’t punish you, even if you are wrong, in the average pairs field. My partner will expect this as a minimum WJO. But, having chosen to pass, you can’t possibly bid at your next turn.

        What do we know? East (dummy might not have much: 6 points and four diamonds, maybe. So, either West is very strong (a good 18+) and balanced, or West is bidding in the expectation of running diamonds. I like partner to be aggressive in the auction (1D)-P-(2D) – particularly at pairs. So, it is just about possible for West to have the very strong balanced hand-type. But I will defend on the basis that West is most likely to have running diamonds, so we want to take tricks fast.

        Partner will have at least three hearts, often four. Declarer might be a chancer, but most declarers will have a heart stop and since declarer isn’t likely to have many hearts, it could easily be Kx. A heart lead could be giving declarer his ninth trick! On the other hand, we have no idea whether a club or a spade will be best, if we lead something else and will partner know to switch to hearts even if we do find the entry? (This is why we should have bid!).

        If I feel the the opponents are chancers, I lead a heart (it probably doesn’t matter which one). But other I go for S9, and trust my partner to get it right.

        in reply to: Opening Lead #70592
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Hi Brian, interesting hands, thanks.

          What do we know? Declarer has a balanced or semi-balanced 20-22. And dummy about 0-4. Partner can have some values – I’m picturing partner with an 8-count, say. This auction is always a nightmare for declarer, because there will be few, if any, entries to dummy. It is normal to lead as passively as possible against this auction – declarer will often be short of tricks and you don’t want to give away any gifts. Even at IMPs, I want to be passive, but there is no such candidate!

          Spades is the obvious choice and every other suit looks risky, so I will go with a spade. Which card to choose? The Jack is standard and will be perfect if partner has Axx or similar with the Queen in dummy. I can’t see a reason to play the King and it might look foolish if dummy has the Queen and declarer has Ax, say. Dummy is very unlikely to hold the ace and even the Queen is against the odds. So maybe this is the time to lead the fourth highest spade, hoping that partner has the Ace or the Queen (or failing that, the nine). I will look foolish if declarer has AQx and dummy has 9xx, but I have looked foolish before.

          S4.

          in reply to: Finding a major fit without checkback stayman #70531
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            I don’t play Checkback in one partnership, but 3C would be forcing for us and so would 3S (initially showing a five-card suit and offering a choice of game).

            in reply to: Play Quiz 0115 – “There is no point in ducking” #70413
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              A final thought on this. This is the type of holding that I was considering:

              Capture 1

              If South wins the first trick there will be no chance of making against best defence. Diamonds are 3-3, but you can’t set up a diamond without conceding a trick (and entry to West). East has the hearts well protected and can keep the fourth Spade.

              But ducking allows the contract to make. If West continues clubs, East cannot discard a second spade (sets up the fourth round for declarer) or a heart (declarer can now set up a heart winner – as per Bernard’s line), so East must discard a diamond. This gives declarer a challenge, but declarer can succeed by playing two top diamonds, two top hearts and four round of spades, throwing Ease in. East can cash a couple of hearts, but must concede the ninth trick to the nine of hearts.

               

              in reply to: Preempts #70374
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Many of the usual rules apply. Sequences make good leads – but you are leading the Q from QJ10 because it is safe, not because you expect the ten to become a winner. Singletons make good leads (but only if you have some trumps!). Leading partner’s suit is good (but expect the pre-emptor to be short).

                Some leads become more attractive after a pre-empt. So, leading low from Kxxx isn’t usually attractive, but it is a little less ugly when declarer is unlikely to hold the ace in the suit. Even an unsupported ace lead might not be so bad if declarer is less likely to hold the king (aces are meant to kill kings!).

                As Reg says, it is important to listen to the bidding and realise that there are different situations. Compare (say):

                • (3C)-P-(P)-P
                • (4S)-P-(P)-P
                • (2S)-P-(4S)-Dbl-(P)-P-(P)
                • 1H-(2S)-P-(P)-P
                • (3H)-P-(4H)-P-(P)-P

                You will expect different hand-types for each. Partner might be much stronger over a 4S pre-empt than over a 3C pre-empt. If the opponents raise the pre-empt they might be planning to ruff in dummy. A double will change your expectation of partner’s holding – it might also change your trick objective.

                in reply to: Play Quiz 0115 – “There is no point in ducking” #70371
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Tim said:

                  “I thought you have to duck four times to “rectify the count” in order for the squeeze to work.” – Not necessarily, although this is usually the best arrangement for a simple squeeze. The important thing is that the timing is right, so that there are no idle cards.

                  “You need a squeeze card which I thought will eventually be the KH ( after the AH has been played ).” – You don’t always need a squeeze card. In a suicide squeeze (which is what is being suggested), the opponents will provide the squeeze card!

                  in reply to: Play Quiz 0115 – “There is no point in ducking” #70370
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    I am not an expert in squeeze play – not that I think that this hand is all about squeeze play. But there is a useful general principle that if you need to lose tricks as declarer, you are often better losing them early. There are many reasons why this can help us, and a squeeze is only one of those reasons. You might get a better count of the hand by losing early tricks, you might take away exit cards for a throw-in etc.

                    But I really don’t think that you can be planning a squeeze at this stage when you are still in the dark about the opponents’ distribution. West could easily have four diamonds to go with the six clubs (it isn’t unusual to pre-empt with 6-4 in the minors). This would give East more cards in the majors and you might wrongly judge that east has unguarded a major. The problem with trying for the suicide squeeze is shown by the suggested play given in Tim’s link. North has discarded a diamond at trick three – this is one of your menaces, but you don’t know this because diamonds might easily be 4-2 (no menace) or 2-4 (menace) or 3-3 (can establish the suit if we can lose the lead to East).

                    On the other hand Bernard’s solution relies on a 4-3 heart break, which he states as the most common break. This might be right without the 3C pre-empt, but once we know that West has six hearts the most likely break is 2-5 and East is odds-on to have five or more hearts.

                    So I feel that ducking once will be a better tactic. If hearts are 2-5, East cannot afford to discard a heart because Bernard’s line will now succeed. A second spade discard would give us the suit if East started with five spades, a diamond discard would allow us to set up diamonds if East started with four diamonds. In a face-to-face game you would be looking to see how comfortable East was with the discard. Remember that we don’t know East’s exact distribution, but neither does East know our distribution and it will be easy for East to mis-judge the discard – particularly as he doesn’t know that his partner only started with six clubs.

                    in reply to: Interference Over Our Strong Opening #70247
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      Thanks Julian, this makes sense.

                      If I pass, would partner’s double also be penalties in the auction: 2C-(P)-2D-(3C); P-(P)-Dbl?

                      Would you also play penalty doubles after a second seat overcall: 2C-(3C)-Dbl?

                      in reply to: Play Quiz 0115 – “There is no point in ducking” #70232
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        I’m not sure that it is easy to duck four times, because you will also need to find discards from dummy – ahead of East. It might be difficult to read which suit has been bared.

                        But if you duck once (following suit in dummy), you will tighten the position, giving East an uncomfortable discard. Bernard’s line then becomes more likely to succeed.

                        Very interesting hand!

                        in reply to: Disclosure of Defence against unususal system #70218
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Is your opponents’ agreement legal? It doesn’t seem to meet the Level 4 requirement for a two-level opening.

                          in reply to: Passing a “Forcing Bid” #70147
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Thank you Julian.

                            One deal proves nothing, but on the actual hand 2H and 3C both make. 2NT might go a couple off, but in practice it often made.

                            in reply to: 4th Position Bidding after Oppos 1NT and transfer #70146
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              How would you expect the bidding to continue after the double Julian? West presumably passes (doubleton heart). I guess that a pass by North caters for partner showing either the 16+ type or diamonds. But what should North do if holding Diamond shortage? How can North tell which hand-type South holds?

                              in reply to: Supporting Majors #68480
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                1H-(1S)-3S would be my choice of response with your partner’s hand. The 3S bid is a splinter, promising heart support, showing spade shortage and some high-card points (9 should be enough in a shapely hand). As a general principle, I always try to support a major suit at the first opportunity – particularly if there is interference.

                                Well done on bidding the slam.

                                in reply to: Update to Blue Book #68478
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Thanks David. Yes, I had a read. The main impact on us is that we will need to announce our four-suit transfers.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,123 total)
                                Posted by:

                                174 comments

                                • Anona
                                  Anona

                                  It was a wonderful week. Hope the 2nd week goes as well, and that you have someone to take my place on the dance floor!!!!!!

                                • Robin and Hilary
                                  Robin and Hilary

                                  Hope you are both well and that cruise two is a great as the first. Best wishes, Robin and Hilary

                                • Andrea Powell
                                  Andrea Powell

                                  Good luck Bernard and especially Helen. Thinking of you.

                                • Dale Carlton
                                  Dale Carlton

                                  Best wishes to both of you and congratulations, now have the happiest of times.

                                  Dale and Sheila

                                • Anona
                                  Anona

                                  Congratulations to you all!!
                                  Regards
                                  Anona and Clive Edwards

                                • Chris Bonser
                                  Chris Bonser

                                  Dear Bernard,
                                  Many congratulations to Helen and yourself on the birth of a future bridge champion. Delighted to hear all are doing well. Will buy you a celebratory drink or two at the Richmond-Denham event in January. In the meantime love and best wishes to all the Magee’s!
                                  Chris Bonser

                                • Robin and Hilary
                                  Robin and Hilary

                                  Congratulations too from Hilary and Robin!

                                • Andrea Powell
                                  Andrea Powell

                                  Many congratulations. Best wishes Stan and Andrea xxx

                                • Alison Deare
                                  Alison Deare

                                  Congratulations!

                                • Geoff Hall
                                  Geoff Hall

                                  Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant for you two to bring him. WHat a good little man.

                                  Looking forward to next year at the Grove.

                                • Geoff Hall
                                  Geoff Hall

                                  Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant to meet him. What a good little man.

                                  Looking forward to next year at the Grove.

                                • Geoff Hall
                                  Geoff Hall

                                  Great event, Bernard, and what a lovely family you have! Your wife, Helen, was wonderful and relaxed, throwing herself into what must be a somewhat daunting environment (full of strangers all wanting your time); and as for Alfie (I really want to call him Alfred after my father!), it was brilliant to meet him. What a good little man.

                                  I agree with your comments about the hotel staff annd the playlist – it was fabulous.

                                  Looking forward to next year at the Grove.

                                • Shirley Tamblyn
                                  Shirley Tamblyn

                                  Looking more like a champion bridge player every day :0

                                • JILL Blanchard
                                  JILL Blanchard

                                  Just found your blog Bernard. Fabulous Bridge Break with you at The Two Bridges Hotel. Wonderful to see you again. So many happy memories especially for us our five consecutive years at The Royal Kenz, Tunisia. You are an amazing teacher and now a firm friend. Thank you so much for everything you do to encourage all your clients. Love you Bernard ! JILL and John Blanchard. Look forward to meeting Helen and baby Alfred when you are next in Devon

                                • Judith Thornton
                                  Judith Thornton

                                  Hi Bernard -don’t worry you will probably get some rest when Alfie is about. 5 (but it will fly). Best wishes Judith

                                • Sally
                                  Sally

                                  Goodness how Alfie has grown. Helen and he are as brown as berries. A wonderful memory! With love, Sally

                                • Jo

                                  He is adorable!!!

                                • Monica Lyness
                                  Monica Lyness

                                  Just returned from the wonderful trip on the Danube. Bernard you are the most fantastic host, Alfie is a delightful child and can see that he brings you great joy.
                                  Although we were unable to sail beyond Vienna, all the staff on board were cheerful and welcoming.
                                  We were lucky to have such good weather with plenty of sunshine.

                                • Judith Thornton
                                  Judith Thornton

                                  Happy birthday Alfie.

                                  You look amazing in your birthday suit.

                                • Valerie
                                  Valerie

                                  Great idea – lovely place!

                                • Valerie Gibson
                                  Valerie Gibson

                                  Looking forward to it. Good luck!

                                • Tim Evans
                                  Tim Evans

                                  Hi
                                  I found the tutorial very useful – but you did not make any specific reference to vulnerability – the -50 pts may indeed be a good result – but not so much if you are vulnerable and a doubled call not making when ops have a part score in a minor on – may not be such a good result!
                                  Tim

                                • Val Duffell
                                  Val Duffell

                                  I really enjoyed seeing the programme and am looking forward to Wednesday

                                • Robert Lewis
                                  Robert Lewis

                                  I am thoroughly enjoying the lessons! You are doing really well – it is new for us all!
                                  Margaret Lewis

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                • trainjoan
                                  trainjoan

                                  It seemed fine to me, Bernard. You admitted that it was all new, no problem.

                                • Anne

                                  Looking forward to the third one…

                                • Elaine Gilbert
                                  Elaine Gilbert

                                  Can’t find today’s video (3rd Apr)

                                • Tuppence
                                  Tuppence

                                  Hi. Just to say that WhatsApp will allow four of you to talk together. So one of us phones the other three and we can all chat together when playing. It very sociable and probably much more simple than Zoom. (Remember to put the phone on speaker so you don’t have to hold it while playing!

                                • Francine Gee
                                  Francine Gee

                                  Great session today, 3rd April. Thanks again. Looking forward to normal times returning, and more bridge holidays…

                                • Linda Norman
                                  Linda Norman

                                  We are enjoying your seminars. We have used BBO with friends on line and have created a whatsap group so that 4 of us at a time can have a voice call so can chat and feel connected. We have not used the video option as it put too much pressure on the bandwidth (and we do know what we look like! 🙂 )

                                • Ruth and Charlie
                                  Ruth and Charlie

                                  Hi Bernard. We are really enjoying your live broadcasts. Could Helen consider adding a music track to the build-up? (Check Google for free downloads). It would be great to have a theme tune to get us warmed up).

                                • Peter Warburton
                                  Peter Warburton

                                  Thank you for your great videos. Regarding suggestions, how about finessing including building the likelihood of opponents distribution.

                                • Lesley Titchmarsh
                                  Lesley Titchmarsh

                                  How do I get to see you play on BBO tonight?

                                • LEONARD HONEY
                                  LEONARD HONEY

                                  Please advise how to log into your live tutorial today Monday 6 April- thanks

                                • Lindsay Stewart
                                  Lindsay Stewart

                                  Hi Bernard
                                  You are fast becoming the highlight of my Mon,Wed and Fri! I’m a complete dinosaur when it comes to playing online but I’d love to be able to respond live when you ask questions and I’m no idea how to be able to do this- do I need to join something?
                                  I’d be very grateful for some very simple instructions.

                                • francinewinch
                                  francinewinch

                                  I usually pick up the video in the late afternoon after gardening. Thanks so much for this. Looking forward to seeing you in person later this year!
                                  P.S. my name is Francine Gee

                                • trainjoan
                                  trainjoan

                                  Sweet. How is your Dad? Send my best wishes. *— * *Joan – * – Lipkin-Edwards Tel 0208 4550029 Mob: 07733 005766 Charity fund-raising. Computer,Internet and mobile ‘phone training/help for ‘older’ people http://www.lipkin.co.uk

                                • randhl

                                  Very smart. I’m also due a trim! (Robin)

                                • randhl

                                  The Christmas Markets Cruise was most enjoyable. We have great memories of it. Robin and Hilary

                                • randhl

                                  Great! As long as he’s happy I say. I’ve had mine trimmed too, but there’s less than he has for sure!
                                  Stay well.
                                  Robin and Hilary

                                • Jean Gill
                                  Jean Gill

                                  Bernard,

                                  He is just gorgeous. What a happy little boy and such a lovely smile. It’s so his natural self and not put on for the camera. What joy he holds for you. Wonder if he will like bridge??!!

                                  Best wishes to all of you and thank you for the bridge transmissions. They are so helpful.

                                  Jean Gill

                                • Daphne Ashe
                                  Daphne Ashe

                                  I think both your haircuts look good – my husband has cut mine so I look a bit odd myself! Best wishes to you all and thanks for the great bridge lessons.

                                • Otto Meth-Cohn
                                  Otto Meth-Cohn

                                  Enjoying your Mon/Wed/Fri Seminars very much. We quite agree it’s time you charged us. We’d hate to see you starve!

                                • June Williams
                                  June Williams

                                  Oooh so cute, he’s gorgeous.
                                  June

                                • Helen McNeil
                                  Helen McNeil

                                  Gorgeous photo!

                                • Ingrid Boyd
                                  Ingrid Boyd

                                  I am pleased to say I managed to register as a Founder Member this morning without any problems. A very exciting week for you Bernard – launching the Founder membership of your new venture, as well as celebrating your 50th birthday. I hope you have a wonderful birthday on Wednesday and I look forward to ‘seeing’ you for the 11 am seminar. I think it is lovely that you are giving a seminar on 3rd June and sharing your birthday with your numerous Bridge ‘groupies’ . Wishing you the VERY best of luck with your new venture – I am sure it will be a great success. best wishes Ingrid

                                • Alison Grant
                                  Alison Grant

                                  Very interested in the new Bernard Magee Bridge website; enjoyed your promotion of it this morning… but please can you learn the difference between “practice” the noun and “practise” the verb?
                                  Alison (Recently retired languages’ teacher but relatively new Bridge player, with only 6 years experience)
                                  P.S. Have followed all the 28 lockdown seminars and love your teaching style!

                                • Lesley Reuben
                                  Lesley Reuben

                                  He looks just like you!

                                • leigh Martin
                                  leigh Martin

                                  I am hoping to learn bridge and will comment on graphics if that is ok. I am afraid I am a visual audio and kinesthetic learner (vak) so the last part doesn’t come into it but the graphics need to be a bit more user friendly So visually you are great to watch and listen to. However I need some help on positional layout and interaction. Maybe a cream background and different font to start with.
                                  I hope this helps.

                                • Moira Shepherd
                                  Moira Shepherd

                                  Thanks for bidding the hand I sent you last week!
                                  Moira

                                • Julie De Vos
                                  Julie De Vos

                                  Looks gorgeous!!!

                                • Lisbeth Diaper
                                  Lisbeth Diaper

                                  Looks a happy little boy.
                                  Thank you so much for the bridge seminars you have been providing during lockdown – they are very much appreciated.

                                • Linda Parry
                                  Linda Parry

                                  First time I have seenyour beautiful boy! He must have inherited the blond curls from your wife!
                                  Howeber, as the saying goes, he hasyour eyes… and your smile…
                                  LindaP

                                • Linda Parry
                                  Linda Parry

                                  I fear the World we all knew is lost to us but, at least your little one knew some of it and, hopefully, will, like all of us as children, will remember the magical bits he does remember.

                                  • june baguley
                                    june baguley

                                    why regrets? Hopefully we can now have an opportunity to make the world a healthier calmer place for young ones like Alfie to grow into!

                                  • doreen higgins
                                    doreen higgins

                                    A dear little boy. Enjoy every minute, the time passes so quickly Doreen Higgins

                                • reuben lewis
                                  reuben lewis

                                  Beautiful photo. Such a great smile
                                  Keep well
                                  Reuben

                                • Irene Button
                                  Irene Button

                                  Really enjoying sessions on UTube many thanks

                                • Elizabeth Holmes
                                  Elizabeth Holmes

                                  Great siminars – thank you so much. Enjoy your special day – I wish I was that young again!

                                • Otto Meth-Cohn
                                  Otto Meth-Cohn

                                  Here, any paddling pool might have ice on it today. 12 degrees and north wind. Yesterday was 22!

                                  • Avatar photo
                                    A
                                    Bernard Magee

                                    Hope you have been doing some good sketches in the previous weather!

                                • Iris Pendergast
                                  Iris Pendergast

                                  So so sorry that we are not in Almeria….even if the holiday is moved to another date..it will of course not be for your birthday!!!
                                  I was also booked for Croatia also a moved date!!! and the cruise with Fred Olsen to the American coastline in October
                                  which as yet I have no info… but hopefully soon.
                                  I like the idea that you have now come up with. Our locale Bridge Club (Meridian East Grinstead) is also setting up next week
                                  as an on line bridge club. Many have been playing on line with BBO I will just have to get used to it!!! Not so good at that.
                                  very best wishes
                                  Iris Pendergast

                                • Ian Kemp
                                  Ian Kemp

                                  “Painting the house blue” rather than “painting the town red”!

                                • Pauline Clift
                                  Pauline Clift

                                  What a gorgeous little lad and like his dad all smiles.

                                • Susan Burke
                                  Susan Burke

                                  Have really enjoyed the UTube videos but it never felt right to be getting all this valuable instruction for free. I am delighted to be able to show my gratitude by supporting your new website and look forward to improving my bridge even more. Thank you Bernard Magee for the past 10 weeks of gold dust! It has kept the boredom during the lockdown at bay for both me and my husband.

                                • Dr James Agnew
                                  Dr James Agnew

                                  Happy 50th birthday Bernard. Really enjoying your presentations. I have learned so much from them.

                                  • Ann Agnew
                                    Ann Agnew

                                    Are we related?

                                    • James Agnew
                                      James Agnew

                                      Hello Ann,
                                      Just after seeing your query asking if we are related. I live in Limavady, N. Ireland. Whereabouts in the UK do you live?

                                      Rgds,
                                      James

                                • Angela J Hood
                                  Angela J Hood

                                  Really enjoying all your U Tube events and seen the all but rather late in viewing today – a shame as late in sending a message. Anyway just want to wish you a belated Happy 50th and I hope the rest of your day went perfectly.

                                  Very best wishes
                                  Angela

                                • Gerald Woods
                                  Gerald Woods

                                  The Seminars are very interesting and well worth visiting. Thanks.

                                • janet nicolas
                                  janet nicolas

                                  I’m enjoying your webinars very much indeed and have signed up as a founder member of the new venture. Wishing you every success and myself becoming a better bridge player

                                • Ruth Duncan
                                  Ruth Duncan

                                  Thanks for all the Seminars during lockdown. You explain things so well.

                                • Annabel Nelms
                                  Annabel Nelms

                                  Being non-literate on the computer, I had a lot of difficulty actually signing in – thought you were going to exclude me before I managed it. But things can only get better! That’s why I am “Tryer”.

                                • Justine Davies
                                  Justine Davies

                                  Loving the seminars Bernard, thank you so much. Belated Happy Birthday too!

                                • Lesley Webb
                                  Lesley Webb

                                  Toddlers love to be creative when using paint and Alfie is fulfilling the brief! ????????????

                                • Mauricette Proud
                                  Mauricette Proud

                                  Thank you for all the previous seminars. I have saved all of them and keep referring to various. How long will they be available for access ? Forever I hope.
                                  Many thanks,

                                • Pitty (Maria Piedad) Gent
                                  Pitty (Maria Piedad) Gent

                                  One good thing about lockdown Bernard, I have revisited forgotten bridge themes with you in your excellent online seminars. Thank you so much for your very enjoyable programmes and I look forward to your new venture. All the very best,
                                  Pitty

                                • angela Deane
                                  angela Deane

                                  enjoying online seminars. It would be really useful if you could put a short comment on each recording as to the contents. It would be so much easier than scrolling through every recording to find eg leads or overcalling.

                                • Bridget Tanner
                                  Bridget Tanner

                                  Lovely photo. Treasure these years.
                                  Many thanks for your seminars. We both really enjoyed them.
                                  Best Wishes, B

                                • Lillian Sandra Renton
                                  Lillian Sandra Renton

                                  Hello Bernard -Tuesday and I think I have managed to log in as a founder member today.

                                  Sandra Renton.

                                  Will have to wait and see whether Majorca is on for next March as I have re-signed up for it,

                                  Regards to Alfie – hope he is behaving himself!

                                • Susan Anderson
                                  Susan Anderson

                                  I have learnt so much from your thrice weekly teach-ins and my card play is improving which is great! Thank you.

                                • Pat Gregory-Carlton
                                  Pat Gregory-Carlton

                                  Have now become a founder member, and delighted to do so as a thank you for all you’ve done for us during lock-down. I’ve been really enjoying your YouTube lessons, which have given me structure to my week. Looking forward to a founder member’s drinks party on board Balmoral…but not sure which year that will be!!!

                                • Torill Evans
                                  Torill Evans

                                  We have so enjoyed your free bridge sessions , and now look forward to continuing
                                  As paid up members . Hope to improve our bridge with you help .
                                  Thank you so much .

                                • mrs sheila white
                                  mrs sheila white

                                  I am booked on the Fred Olsen cruise at the end of August. If it is cancelled are there any 2021 cruises when Bernard will be hosting the bridge?
                                  thank you.
                                  Sheila White

                                • Patricia Halligan
                                  Patricia Halligan

                                  I made a donation to your Just Giving page for Cancer Research as I have been very grateful for the free seminars you have been doing during lockdown. Am very pleased to now become a Founder Member of your new venture and wish you well in it. Looking forward to becoming a better bridge player!

                                • Helene Walton
                                  Helene Walton

                                  Gorgeous x

                                • Tuppence Hale
                                  Tuppence Hale

                                  Thank you for the YouTube sessions. So useful

                                • Linda Brown
                                  Linda Brown

                                  Thank you so much for your tutorials, just brilliant and I love to hear your comments about other matters too. Your birthday is the day after mine and I was celebrating a special birthday too, except mine was a couple of decades older!

                                • Ann Agnew
                                  Ann Agnew

                                  I don’t know what I would have done without your weekly seminars. Being in lockdown for 13 weeks you made my time more bearable.
                                  Thank you so much for giving up your time to do this, I really believe my Bridge has improved.
                                  Looking forward to the new website and wish you the best of luck.

                                  • Anne Humphrey
                                    Anne Humphrey

                                    I really do endorse the favourable comments already made. The seminars have been a lifeline ion these lockdown times.
                                    I live on my own so it is lovely to have Bernard ‘talking’ to me !!

                                • Sally M Piber
                                  Sally M Piber

                                  I have enjoyed every one of your lockdown sessions which have helped to keep me sane and give me focus on at least three days a week. Thank you so much.

                                  Can I suggest a clean paintbrush and a pail of water on the patio outside. My young children spent hours in the sunshine painting everywhere with no mishaps. Happy days – just not easy at the time!! All good wishes for the future, Sally Piber

                                • Maggie Burns
                                  Maggie Burns

                                  He looks a lovely little boy

                                • Penny Mitchell
                                  Penny Mitchell

                                  Hi Bernard
                                  I’ve enjoyed the seminars. So has Barry!
                                  Thanks for helping to make the lockdown more interesting. Look forward to the website and, fingers crossed, more cruises and bridge weekends.
                                  Penny

                                • Vera Schofield
                                  Vera Schofield

                                  Alfie looks adorable. Don’t suppose you cut his hair!!!!
                                  Bridge sessions really good and helpful. Looking forward to the 22nd June.
                                  Regards Vera

                                • Anne Humphrey
                                  Anne Humphrey

                                  It is fun while it lasts, and they grow up so quickly. But I am happy that those days are well behind me!
                                  Except of course it is now grandchildren – but even they are past that stage (DG).

                                • Pamela Rawlings
                                  Pamela Rawlings

                                  Boys will be boys imagine having two like Alfie.Its a wonder I’m still sane. Of course that is debatable!!!

                                • Berwyn Aston
                                  Berwyn Aston

                                  Looking forward to all the fun.
                                  Alfie is so cute, love the picture.
                                  Berwyn

                                • Mrs Julia Perry

                                  Sorry to say I was well into lock-down with a health problem and missed 3/6. Hope I am registered and I look forward to more information when it is ready.

                                • Valerie Sullivan
                                  Valerie Sullivan

                                  Have really enjoyed the seminars. Great style, relaxed and friendly. Looking forward to membership.

                                • Geoff Seal
                                  Geoff Seal

                                  Enjoy the teams. Very informative.

                                • ANN JOHNSON
                                  ANN JOHNSON

                                  Looking forward to sharing your new venture has a Founder Member.seminars ,set hands.BBO events and more. Really enjoyed the UTube seminars thank you!
                                  GOOD LUCK Ann Johnson {mia}

                                • LJS Shaw
                                  LJS Shaw

                                  Fantastic seminars. So enjoyable and I’ve learned so much. Thank you Bernard. Wishing you all the very best with your new website.

                                • rosemarie eldridge
                                  rosemarie eldridge

                                  Have enjoyed all the seminars and look forward to future bridge on your website

                                • Maggie Morgan
                                  Maggie Morgan

                                  Thanks for all the utube sessions. As always clear and informative. Helping to keep me sane!

                                • Graham Roberts
                                  Graham Roberts

                                  Vowed to register today 24th June- four years to the day when the result of the UK Referendum was announced.

                                  Your expletives were far more exciting as we disembarked the Aegean Odyssey at Honfleur than that uttered

                                  a week last Friday during your Teams match.

                                  Enjoying you seminars,

                                  Best wishes,

                                  Graham.

                                • Beryl Mullins
                                  Beryl Mullins

                                  I know the feeling. I hope it didn’t stain the wood floor!

                                • June Dixon
                                  June Dixon

                                  What an intense blue, lovely!

                                • Josie Heayns
                                  Josie Heayns

                                  Thank you so much for all the seminars , they were excellent. Also enjoyed the Friday live sessions with the commentary on how to call and play the hands. Looking forward to the new venture.

                                • Elspeth Julian
                                  Elspeth Julian

                                  Good luck with your new venture Bernard! I knew you wouldn’t let lockdown get the better of you!

                                • Marian Walmsley
                                  Marian Walmsley

                                  Pretty good job x

                                • GerryArty
                                  GerryArty

                                  It will be nice when it’s finished ! 🙂

                                • GerryArty
                                  GerryArty

                                  Alfie, is already inventing new conventions for us to learn !

                                • Ann Agnew
                                  Ann Agnew

                                  He’s so cute

                                • Fran Bennie
                                  Fran Bennie

                                  I think I can see your Dad as a wee boy, when I look at Alfie !

                                • jUNE fERRE
                                  jUNE fERRE

                                  What a cute little boy Alfie is – great smile. I think he looks like Mr. Bridge – he may not thank me for that – lol
                                  June Ferre

                                • janet nicolas
                                  janet nicolas

                                  Congratulations. Sorry I’m a day late. I’m very curious as to what part of the country you guys live in. Bernard so frequently refers to the weather and I wonder where abouts you are. No need to be too precise – just a nod to the area.

                                • Berlie
                                  Berlie

                                  Happy Anniversary & congratulations: although a day late. I hope you’ve had some time to relax and celebrate.

                                  Berlie x

                                • Susan Stephens
                                  Susan Stephens

                                  Can you please give me the ingredients for the Italian Chickpea Flatbread? I have Coeliac Disease so I am always looking for easy GF recipes.
                                  I have really enjoyed your lessons and especially your discussions during the teams on a Friday. Here in NZ the bridge clubs are all open again and tournaments started several weeks ago and they have had a great turnout . People love to be back playing face to face.

                                • Judy McLellan
                                  Judy McLellan

                                  I have two young grandsons, one looks to be about Alfie’s age. “Toys all over the place”, so familiar and repeated in every home in the land where there are young children! Lovely.

                                • Margaret Carrington
                                  Margaret Carrington

                                  Love seeing Alfie, & parents of course. Thankyou

                                • Judith Morison
                                  Judith Morison

                                  I at last tried this flatbread. I talked to you on BBO and ended that I would. I daren't go in shops yet and local store has very limited GF but I finally got someone to get me chick pea flour (which I have not used before). I don't think I did it right – do you use an electric whisk or a wooden spoon by hand? Also I hadn't a big enough metal pie tin so used a pyrex one. It ended up soggy but it was vaguely edible. I will have another try

                                  • Avatar photo
                                    A
                                    Bernard Magee

                                    I hand whisk – then leave for 3 or 4 hours. If a bit soggy – it probably needs a little longer in the oven.

                                • reuben lewis
                                  reuben lewis

                                  Unfortunately not able to view the picture on my Imac?

                                • Jean Newell
                                  Jean Newell

                                  I cannot see the photos on my iPad either

                                  Jean Newell

                                • Sue Leech
                                  Sue Leech

                                  We always told our children that the sound of the ice cream van meant that he’d run out! Was that too mean?!

                                • Elizabeth Clarke
                                  Elizabeth Clarke

                                  BlackBerry jam or sloe gin

                                  • Avatar photo
                                    A
                                    Bernard Magee

                                    We made sloe gin about 4 years ago, but not this time and not with bridge books!

                                • Ruth Gilmore
                                  Ruth Gilmore

                                  are you pressing meat, something like an ox tongue (apologies to vegetarians, but meat eaters have been known to do this….) ?

                                • GerryArty
                                  GerryArty

                                  Paper Mache

                                • Linda Brown
                                  Linda Brown

                                  Courgette or cucumber relish

                                • Pauline Wood
                                  Pauline Wood

                                  Is it a summer pudding, but an autumn version made with blackberries?

                                • Lesley Denyer Smith
                                  Lesley Denyer Smith

                                  I forgive the use of the book and we think it's something for Christmas. Pud maybe?

                                • Graham Shotton
                                  Graham Shotton

                                  Christmas pudding

                                • Vera Schofield
                                  Vera Schofield

                                  Some kind of food dish!!!! Could it be Popcorn?

                                • Linda Parry
                                  Linda Parry

                                  Can't be hot can it… not with precious
                                  books on top?

                                • Elizabeth Clarke
                                  Elizabeth Clarke

                                  Essential oils

                                • Mary Simm
                                  Mary Simm

                                  courgette cake

                                • Deirdre Kenroy
                                  Deirdre Kenroy

                                  A game terrine with pheasant or venison?

                                • Sean Haffey
                                  Sean Haffey

                                  Normally I would say Green Eggs and Ham but since it's autumn perhaps Brown Eggs and Ham.

                                  Choice of book depends on size of pan. For example, my copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare wouldn't fit but Three Men in a Boat lacks sufficient mass. Card Play Technique is physically and mentally a weighty tome and probably deserves reading once a year.

                                • Maria Lyons
                                  Maria Lyons

                                  Is it a summer pudding?

                                • Diane Wells
                                  Diane Wells

                                  Lovely photos.Have you made a press for a flowerundefinedleaf?

                                  • Avatar photo
                                    A
                                    Bernard Magee

                                    Not a press, but Alfie and Mummy have got a press for the fig leaves which have just started falling.

                                • Bill Keast
                                  Bill Keast

                                  Some form of pate?

                                • Barbara Ide
                                  Barbara Ide

                                  a summer pudding

                                • Ken Smith
                                  Ken Smith

                                  blackberry wine?

                                • Carola Selwyn
                                  Carola Selwyn

                                  Sauerkraut?

                                • Elizabeth May
                                  Elizabeth May

                                  Summer pudding?

                                • Elizabeth May
                                  Elizabeth May

                                  Kimchee

                                  • Elizabeth May
                                    Elizabeth May

                                    Kimchee is form of sauerkraut

                                • catherine preston
                                  catherine preston

                                  summer pudding

                                • Vera Schofield
                                  Vera Schofield

                                  Well done Carola

                                • Jennifer Kendrick
                                  Jennifer Kendrick

                                  Our guess is a tongue, Richard frequently tells me his Mum used to make it………so I have never tried!!

                                • Joan BUSFIELD
                                  Joan BUSFIELD

                                  Thank you Alfie for sharing your watermelon at breakfast. My it was cold on the cruise but we saw so many exciting things. Playing bridge with Bernard was ruined by having a no cards of value all night. Alll those weeks floating around in the ocean with Mr Bridge going nowhere was so memorable. Maybe we should have a photo album of out McGee family and bridge fans?
                                  Joanie Busfield

                                • Patricia Sparkes
                                  Patricia Sparkes

                                  User error I expect, but I could not see the recipe!

                                  • Avatar photo
                                    A
                                    Bernard Magee

                                    The recipe is in the forum

                                • Beryl
                                  Beryl

                                  Alfie is so delightful. I love his hair!

                                • Brenda Simm
                                  Brenda Simm

                                  A friend of mine told me recently that when she was a child her parents used to tell her that when the ice cream man sounded his bell, he had already sold all of his ice cream! How mean is that?

                                • Cherry Simmonds
                                  Cherry Simmonds

                                  Lovely ! He's a very lucky little boy

                                • Kenneth Haines
                                  Kenneth Haines

                                  These pictures really cheered me up in this awful year (and it's winter too).
                                  Thanks for all your efforts Bernard – your Youtube Seminars got us through the lockdown and kept us sane (ish).

                                • doreen higgins
                                  doreen higgins

                                  Thank you for the pictures. Lovely family. I have 2 sons, grown up now, and 2 wonderful grandsons. What blessings

                                • Beryl
                                  Beryl

                                  Its a real joy to follow Alfie's progress with lovely family photos. How can a 2 years and 12 months old boy not make a mess!

                                • Vera Schofield
                                  Vera Schofield

                                  Happy Birthday Alfie you are a little darling. I love your birthday cake did Mummy make it or Daddy? You seem to have plenty of toys to keep you occupied. I also love the lovely curls in your hair.

                                  Happy Christmas and all the very best for the New Year 2021 to Bernard, Helen, Alfie and all the helpers.

                                  Vera

                                • Robin Levett
                                  Robin Levett

                                  Spring is on the way, good to see you back blogging. I'm inspired to pump up my tyres now! Robin (and Hilary)

                                • Felicity Thomson
                                  Felicity Thomson

                                  Lovely pictures

                                • Sylvia Parsons
                                  Sylvia Parsons

                                  Looks great fun! Alfie is a real ‘outside boy’ xx

                                • Carol Fisher
                                  Carol Fisher

                                  Great fun Bernard. We don't often have as much snow as this. Brings back happy memories with my own children and grandchildren

                                • Buckley
                                  Buckley

                                  Where / How do I find the recipe for the bread please?

                                • Carol Fisher
                                  Carol Fisher

                                  Lovely picture.

                                Other posts you might like

                                Have a look at some other posts from Bernard about life as the UK's #1 Bridge Tutor

                                No results