Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #19899
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      There were a number of occasions in today’s presentation where Bernard made favourable comments about Exit Transfers. I thought that it might be interesting to present an alternative opinion.

      I’m sorry if discussion of a bridge topic in these forums is irritating to you. You do of course have the option not to read it and to respond if that is the case.

      in reply to: Which suit #19887
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        Hi Julian, I must admit that your response and also a discussion on another forum have made me realise that there are gaps in my knowledge here. I have a couple of questions:

        (1) You describe the sequence 1♥-2♣-2♥-2♠ as a Responder’s Reverse. I am used to the concept of a Responder’s Reverse in a sequence such as: 1♣-1♥-2♣-2♠, but the first sequence had never struck me as a reverse because we are bidding our suits in the natural order (or what seems to me as the natural order). Is there a definition of Responder’s Reverse, similar to a bid past the barrier for a reverse by opener? Also if 1♥-2♣-2♥-2♠ is a Responder’s Reverse, is the sequence: 1♥-1♠-2♥-3♣ also a Responder’s Reverse?

        (2) I have always played the 1♥-2♣-2♥-2♠ sequence as a one-round force, but someone has suggested on another forum that it should be game forcing. Do you recommend that it would be better to play it as game forcing? And if so, why?

        Thank You

        in reply to: Two Play Problems #19871
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Yes, well done John. I seem to regularly miss opportunities for blocking plays at the table. Hand 1 is particularly difficult to spot.

          in reply to: Slam bid possibility help #19644
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            I don’t think that Bernard has covered Jacoby yet, but it has been mentioned in passing. I suspect it will be covered soon.

            There is also a summary in Bridge 184 (April 2018) – written by Julian!

            in reply to: Bernard’s Variants – are they commonly known outside BMB? #19630
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              To be honest, I think that Bernard is a bit “out on his own” with Key Card Blackwood – almost everyone plays Roman Key Card Blackwood.

              Lebensohl Light is a little different. Whilst nobody will understand what the “Light” means, you will find that everyone plays Lebensohl differently. So realistically, you either discuss it in detail or don’t play it and Lebensohl Light needs less discussion than the various full versions.

              in reply to: Replying to partner’s 1NT doubled, vulnerable #19567
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                I agree with Julian’s statement that he doesn’t like playing that a pass forces a redouble. I also play the same method that Julian described in his reply back in September – which I have always described as Halmic.

                Note that the link to a Halmic defence given by Stewart does have a forcing pass, for 4333 hands. But this seems rather silly to me, since the shape that has least interest in a suit contract is 4333.

                in reply to: Jump- Shift Response After Intervening Double #19550
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  I am asking generally about a one-level opening, not specifically about after a 1C opening (which promises four for us).

                  I would usually expect a fit-jump with other partners, but this partner like to play a weak jump shift style, even though our one-level openings promise four. The logic behind this style is that a sequence such as 1D-1S-2C-2S becomes constructive (9-11 say) and 1D-1S-2C-3S becomes forcing.

                  I wasn’t sure whether it is is logical that this should apply irrespective of the double, or whether a fit-jump would be more appropriate?

                  in reply to: What does this mean #19534
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Thanks Hereward.

                    Hi Doris, the South hand is very powerful with four losers, a running right-card suit and three-card support for partner, including two honours. Bernard would want you to get excited! A couple of ideas:

                    1. You should probably make a jump 3♦ response. It usually promises 16 HCPs, but with this much power it is reasonable.
                    2. You are too strong for the 4♠ bid. Maybe you need to bid the fourth suit instead?

                    The 2NT bid made it awkward, but it is a silly bid and should help in the play. West only holds three cards in spades and diamonds, so East is likely to hold the queen. If playing in spades, you would probably start with the king of spades then a low spade to the Jack, the ace of spades and run the diamonds to make all 13 tricks.

                    in reply to: Cue Bidding #9334
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      Hi Alan, Bernard has written about Italian style cue bidding on pages 36-37 of Issue 159 of Bridge:

                      http://blog.bernardmageebridge.com/bridge-magazine-march-2016-issue-159/

                      Michael Byrne has written a useful series of articles in English Bridge (August 2017 and subsequent issues):

                      https://view.pagetiger.com/y0yvuhfuf0/7fyg9etyg9qet24bx/page24.htm

                      If you want to see arguments for both sides, see the debate in the April edition of English Bridge (pages 40-41):

                      https://view.pagetiger.com/fdkfjsdkf349tr345834-15dfkdkfwdfwe24395235923543543534–43534-5-34-534-5-34-5-34534qrfdsgdfgfegdf/2011Apr/page41.htm

                      Sorry – tried to post these as links, but then the comment disappears.

                      in reply to: Restricted choice #15558
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        I have found this article by Bernard:

                        http://youth.worldbridge.org/use-of-principle-restricted-choice-by-bernard-magee/

                        Is this the article?

                        in reply to: Last Night Teams Hand 8 #16426
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Link to question to Julian on over-calling on four-card suits: http://blog.bernardmageebridge.com/forums/topic/over-calling-on-a-four-card-suit/

                          in reply to: Opening bid with Roman 4441 hand #16570
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Hi Ken,

                            Discussion of 4441 hands with a singleton club has come up before in these forums:

                            http://blog.bernardmageebridge.com/forums/topic/weak-12-15-4441-hand-when-i-am-dealer/

                            I agree with you that I would always open one diamond. You are lying to partner whatever you choose, but lying about your heart holding is likely to be more problematic than lying about your diamond holding.

                            For completeness, I should add that there is always the possibility of passing with a twelve count and with 15+ you can rebid 2NT after a two club response, so either choice will work. So we are only really worried about 4441 hands in the 13-14 range. Another possibility is to open 1NT with thee hands!

                            in reply to: Cue Bidding #9335
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Hi Alan, Bernard has written about Italian style cue bidding on pages 36-37 of Issue 159 of Bridge:

                              http://blog.bernardmageebridge.com/bridge-magazine-march-2016-issue-159/

                               

                              in reply to: Topic-based folders for forum #2970
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                This can work well. But don’t have too many topics – I find that I sometimes miss posts on Bridgebase Forums. But having one primary folder seems to work ok on Bridge Winners.

                                in reply to: What does this mean #19469
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  I get this message from time to time. Often when I include two pictures or a picture and some formatting. Sometimes the message does appear later.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 1,123 total)