Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #20491
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      I’m all for light openings in third seat – but not in no trumps. That’s just asking for trouble!

      in reply to: Switching #20479
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        Thanks for posting this Stewart and thanks for the comments Julian.

        I’ve been playing around trying to find any combination where you need to return a spade – turns out that it rather difficult! Maybe this is consistent with the bidding:

        Capture

        in reply to: Weak two Psyche #20474
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Hi David, you didn’t comment that the tournament bans psyches. Is this consistent with the Laws?

          Thanks

          in reply to: I bet you haven’t seen this before … #20462
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            I guess that East often plays Precision and the 2C bid was intended as natural and intermediate. Unfortunately he was playing Acol on this iccasion! πŸ™‚

            in reply to: Switching #20422
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Which small card did partner lead? And which card did declarer play?

              Also, were you playing pairs or teams?

              in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #20418
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                The original Acol was a system based on a variable no trump, but over the years it morphed into a weak no trump system. I love playing a weak no trump, but you are sticking your neck out when you open 1NT, vulnerable on a 12-count in third seat. If I were to put a system together for a new partnership, I would definitely play a stronger range (14-16 maybe?) in third seat.

                in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #20407
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Interesting way of thinking about it Reg!

                  I guess that it is a more important consideration playing teams. Based on your rough calculation (I haven’t checked the maths!), we might be doubled and risk a large penalty once every three matches. I am playing a quarter final match in our county knock-out next week … we might be alright! If we win we will play the semi-final … again, we might be alright. But I reckon that we should switch to a strong no trump for the final* ! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

                   

                  * This is intended as tongue in cheek, in case anyone thinks I am being serious. πŸ™‚

                  in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #20395
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Yes Robin, there are almost endless possibilities.

                    I was interested in today’s presentation that a number of commentators seem to be playing Exit Transfers as including a forcing pass with two four-card suits. This is certainly the version that I was originally shown (20 years ago now?).

                    Equally Bernard’s simple wriggle is the system that I play – but I describe it as Halmic. As far as I am concerned the forcing pass on the 4333 hands is an extension to the basic Halmic structure – and not a particularly useful extension at that. I notice that this is also the system that Julian plays:Β See here.

                    I have never played Helvic, but it is similar to SWINE, which I played until last year. These systems cope very badly with 4333 shape hands.

                     

                    in reply to: The Protective Position #20314
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      As Bernard says, the standard Acol NT ladder in the protective seat is usually quoted as something like:

                      • 1NT overcall = 11-14
                      • Double, then bid NT at the lowest level = 15-18
                      • 2NT overcall = 19-20 (Note that 2NT is not played as “Unusual” in the protective seat).
                      • Double then jump in NT = 21-22

                      This is the range that I favour. This range works well over a 1♣ or 1♦ opening. It becomes difficult if partner is forced to respond at the two level (say):

                      (1β™ ) – Pass – (Pass) – Dbl

                      (Pass) – 2β™₯ – (pass) – 2NT

                      Bidding 2NT on a 15-count feels a bit much. For this reason, some play a wider-range 1NT in the protective seat (say 11-16) or even vary the range depending on the suit opened (maybe 11-14 if a minor, 11-16 if a major). But this has the disadvantage that you need some form of Crowhurst-type range inquiry to make it work which is easily disrupted when the opponents make further bids – and they will make more bids because someone has to have some points! So you never get to clarify the range to make it helpful to partner.

                      So, for me, Bernard’s standard Acol ranges are the best compromise.

                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        I don’t think that there is any history on teaching tables.

                        If you install the Google Chrome extension Bridge Solver, it will probably allow you export (I haven’t tried it from a teaching table).

                        in reply to: Tags, how best can we use them? ???? #20239
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          I’m not really the right person to answer – I don’t use tags! I presume that the search utility uses these tags? Do searches also use the topic title? Do they use text?

                          I have occasionally tried to search for an old comments, with patchy results. It will always be problematic because different terms are used for the same concepts. For example some use the term Protecting, whereas others call it Balancing; some players Wriggle, others Escape and some employ Negative Doubles but others use Sputnik Doubles.

                          But I am happy to include a tag if others find it useful.

                          in reply to: Action double #20092
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Interesting. The first time that I came across the type of double described by David was in this article – although the term Action Double is not used.

                            I never use the term Action DoubleΒ and can’t speak with any authority, but I always assumed that it was synonymous with Cooperative Double or Value-showing Double?

                            in reply to: SLOW POST #20084
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Thanks Robin. I think that most of us have experienced – problems, particularly in the last week. I have had some email correspondence with Hereward and he has been trying a few things. These resulted in some very old comments coming through a few days ago when he shook the box (or some other techie thing!).

                              Sorry, I tend to forget about the tags! I will try to remember.

                              in reply to: The Case against Exit Transfers #19918
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                It certainly has the merit of simplicity – requiring little change to your normal methods.

                                The 2C Stayman response looks a little bit odd. In an uncontested auction it will normally show 11+ points, but you are very unlikely to hold this much if partner has 12-14 and the doubled has 16+ and if you did hold 11 you would happily sit the double. So presumably 2C is Garbage Stayman?

                                in reply to: Which suit #19917
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Thank you, that’s helpful.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,123 total)