Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: when is it a penalty double? #34871
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      Hi Helen, I am a bit confused by the layout. What did East and South bid on the first round of bidding?

      in reply to: Lead #34741
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        Yes, I think that I paid $10, based on a personal contact. It is an interesting app, but not an essential one.

        in reply to: What is the opening bid with this hand? #34734
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          What was West’s 2H bid Gordon? Many play this as a Michaels Cue Bid showing a five-card spade suit and five cards in one of the minors – a brave choice as West is vulnerable and missing the top four cards in spades! If it was Michaels, I would have doubled with your partner’s hand indicating a wish to make a penalty double and you would have collected a very hefty penalty from your opponents – possibly even greater than the reward for bidding a non-vulnerable slam.

          in reply to: Unblocking at Trick One #34733
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            Thanks Julian. Yes afterwards partner was berating herself for not leading the queen to ask for an unblock and I was beating myself up for not unblocking anyway. In truth we were both to blame for not having a clear agreement! I like the concept of the queen asking for the block if I held the impossible card – sounds like the better agreement.

            Sean, partner knows that I don’t have a singleton – that would mean that declarer opened 1NT with a six-card major! I like partner’s pass – at that point, she believes that she has good defence against a no-trump contract.

            in reply to: What is the opening bid with this hand? #34728
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              I think that David is right, I haven’t played strong two’s etc. for a while. KQx is one playing trick, but Kxx is only half a playing trick and KJx is still half a playing trick (but with a plus factor).

              But you are quite a bit short of a strong two anyway!

              in reply to: What is the opening bid with this hand? #34725
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Hi Gordon,

                If you have assessed the hand as worth 18 then you have maybe taken the High Card Points (16) and added on two for length? The problem is that if you have length in one suit, you also have shortage in another suit – you only have 13 cards in your hand! There are different methods of adjusting the High Card Points to account for distribution and some methods do add on points for shortage. But if you add on points for length AND shortage there is a likelihood that you are “double dipping”!

                It seems that you play Strong Twos and I would assess this hand as quite a bit short of a Strong Two opening. Another method of evaluating a hand and judging whether to open a Strong Two is to count the “Playing Tricks”. You have six certain heart tricks against all but the most perverse distributions and it is reasonable to assess KJx as a seventh trick, but I would count zero in the spade suit. A hand with seven Playing Tricks is strong, but you really need eight (or better 8½) Playing Tricks to open a Strong Two.

                Note that the valuation will change as the auction progresses and a fit is revealed (or not!). It would be interesting to see both hands and we can better judge whether a slam is reasonable. (Just because you make 12 tricks, doesn’t necessarily make it reasonable).

                in reply to: Lead #34683
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Hi Julian, I am interested in this response.

                  What is your opinion of double dummy lead simulations? The Bird and Anthias book “Winning No Trump Leads” has a chapter on leading from a weak hand. Their first conclusion at the end of the chapter is:

                  • When you have a very weak hand it is usually a waste of time leading from a long suit, particularly when it is a minor.

                  I think that the reason is that you have no entries, even if you establish the suit. On the basis of their advice, I would have chosen the seven of spades. I decided to run a simulation (using Lead Captain) and the results surprised me! The jack of diamonds came out as best – at both IMPs and pairs:

                  • ♦J – sets the contract: 24.02%; Average expected tricks: 3.40 tricks.
                  • ♠7 – sets the contract: 21.95%; Average expected tricks: 3.32 tricks.
                  • ♥9 – sets the contract: 20.16%; Average expected tricks: 3.24 tricks.

                  I acknowledge that my simulation does not allow for the possibility that partner might have made a lead-directing double (it is difficult to model that). I know that these double dummy simulations are controversial and would be interested in your thoughts.

                  in reply to: Does a forcing pass need alerting? #34680
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Thanks Judy, I was intending to ask this question.

                    Perhaps a couple of example auctions might help:

                    • (1NT)-Dbl-(2C)-Pass*
                    • 2C-(Pass)-2H-(4S)-Pass*

                    The final pass in each auction would be forcing for us. In the first example, we have specifically discussed the auction and agreed the pass as forcing. In the second auction, general bridge principles and partnership experience tells us that we would regard the pass a forcing.

                    I would be interested in whether either, or both should be alerted. Thanks.

                    in reply to: 5-3 o 4-4? #34678
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      Thanks Julian. I stand corrected.

                      in reply to: What is the opening bid with this hand? #34670
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        1H

                        in reply to: Response to Director etc. #34649
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          I agree with you both about robot alerts. There used to be a facility on BBO where you could set up a “convention card” for a partnership, which would automatically alert bids with the explanations.

                          This had the potential to be a useful feature, but also was visible to partner for some strange reason.

                          in reply to: Response to Director etc. #34647
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Thanks David. Yes, I agree that the director should always visit the table, but I can imagine situations where a director is dealing with a question at another table and types “How can I help?” By private message. It is one of those things that would be immediately apparent in a face-to-face environment, but less so when on line.

                            in reply to: 5-3 o 4-4? #34635
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Yes, I agree that it is generally very difficult to locate a second fit once an eight-card fit in a major is found – certainly in Acol. Things are slightly different if playing five-card majors, when the usual advice is to respond with a four-card major rather than immediately supporting partner’s major-suit opening with three-card support.

                              in reply to: Response to Director etc. #34634
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                David, I am not a director, but is it possible that the director has typed “How can I help?”, without actually visiting the table? And would I be correct in thinking that the director would then be unaware of Bruce’s reply to the table?

                                in reply to: 5-3 o 4-4? #34582
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Sometimes, particularly at the slam level, a 4-4 fit can be better than a 5-4 fit. A spade slam has good chances here if the trumps break 3-2, but a heart slam has no chance:

                                  Capture

                                   

                                Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,123 total)