Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      I agree that ♠AKJ3 ♥762 ♦832 ♣AK8 has reasonable chances.

      But if South is bidding slam opposite any strong NT, then sometimes it will be ♠AKJ3 ♥QJ2 ♦832 ♣AJ10.

      in reply to: Hand evaluation #35232
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        I wouldn’t upgrade by a full point, but I think that this hand is worth a small plus factor, not a downgrade!

        Look at the honours supporting each other in the round suits. I agree that Jxx is not a great holding, but J9x is an encouraging holding in each of the pointed suits.

         

        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Sorry – there seem to be two instances of this post.

          It might be awkward if trumps are 4-1. But it is a slam that I would want to be in. The sequence tells North that South has a game raise based on a good quality diamond suit. The king of diamonds should look like a great card to North.

          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            Hi Bruce, I agree that there are other possible solutions. Another idea is to play fit-jump responses, so this auction would start: 1♥-3♦, but then you lose the standard meaning for a jump-shift response.

            I am simply suggesting that a DGR can still be useful sometimes if playing standard Jacoby responses.

            in reply to: Bidding opponents suit #35072
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Which hand is South, John? What strength no trump are you playing?

              in reply to: How would you bid this hand? #35043
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Hi Charles,

                The 2S response doesn’t feel right for two reasons:

                • With 10 HCPs we are a bit strong. Yes, I know that it is 4333, but with two aces and three-card support there are positives too.
                • I prefer to have four-card support for the raise – particularly as there are no ruffing possibilities.
                in reply to: Forcing Pass at the Game Level #35042
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Thanks Charles. I wasn’t sure, but chose to take it as forcing.

                  I don’t know the E/W methods. But Michaels usually shows equal length or one card difference (6-5). Books don’t usually recommend it on 7-5. But it wouldn’t be the worst bid in the world and might help here.

                  Another possibility is that they might play Michaels as split range and judge this hand to be in the intermediate range.

                  in reply to: Monday’s live show (#60) #34958
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Yes, all of parts 1, 2 and 3 have been suit contracts. Bernard did apologise for this at the start.

                    Is it too late to re-label these?

                    in reply to: Slam try after 1NT opening #34904
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      It is also worth mentioning that a jump response in the minors (such as 1NT-3♣) is also a slam try.

                      Now opener’s rebids are interesting. I believe that it is standard that the only negative rebid would be 3NT. So 3♦, 3♥ and 3♠ are all cue bids suggesting some suitability for slam rather than showing stoppers for no trumps.

                      in reply to: Is it a punt or fair play? #34902
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        Julian’s answer is excellent.

                        Your question also asks whether the bid is “legitimate” and the title mentions “Fair Play”. If you have concerns about whether the bid is ethical, David Stevenson should be able to confirm this and you might post this in his forum.

                        in reply to: when is it a penalty double? #34899
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Even if you were to have the hoped-for eight points, a double was simply wrong.

                          in reply to: Slam try after 1NT opening #34893
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            I’d given up Colleen.

                            But I guess that Bernard read your post – see the latest bidding quiz!

                            in reply to: when is it a penalty double? #34879
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              I think that the computer sometimes deletes what it thinks are “unnecessary” spaces. So maybe you were trying to ask about:

                              Capture

                              If my guess is wrong, then please ignore this. But if this is the auction then my comments would be:

                              • North knows pretty accurately what South holds (a balanced hand with 12-14 points), whereas South has almost no idea what South holds (zero to a poor 11-count, any shape). So South has no reason to bid at all and would normally leave things to partner and would need an exceptional holding to bid. Three hearts is not an exceptional holding!
                              • Some players (including me) play that a sequence such as 1NT-2♥-Dbl is takeout and in this case, it would be consistent to play that 1NT-1♥-P-P-Dbl is for takeout. I would expect a holding such as ♠AK74 ♥64 ♦AQ9 ♣J1095. It would be even more unusual for opener to make a takeout double if the right-hand opponent makes an overcall, because partner still has a bid.
                              • Bernard plays that 1NT-2♥-Dbl is for penalties, in which case it would be consistent for a double by opener to also be for penalties. This would be a very unusual action, given that partner might have nothing! I suppose that a penalty double might be possible after 1NT-P-P-2♥-Dbl with a hand such as: ♠A104 ♥AQ1097 ♦KJ9 ♣76. But Bernard doesn’t like opening 1NT with a strong five-card major! So I would say that a double by opener is an impossible bid playing Bernard’s methods.

                               

                               

                              in reply to: How would you bid this hand? #34874
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                Slam looks to depend on finding the queen of diamonds or South not leading the ace.

                                in reply to: How would you bid this hand? #34873
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  With N/S silent:

                                  1S – 2C

                                  2D – 2S  (this is often only two-card support, but I don’t think this 9-loser pancake is worth 3S)

                                  3H* – 3NT  (where 3H is fourth suit forcing)

                                  4C – 4D

                                  4NT – 5H

                                  6S

                                  But other possibilities.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,123 total)