Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 3Sx responce to 2NT opening #16150
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      Alun, I don’t think that Julian can explain the bidding because I think that E/W had a misunderstanding (Bernard was sitting South). East was dealer and the unopposed auction was:

      P-2NT

      3S-3NT

      East held a 5-count with five hearts to the Jack and four spades to the Jack.

      The method described by Geoff is played by some players, but the East hand is too weak and the wrong shape.

      in reply to: using Stayman over opponents 1NT #16124
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        There is another question that occurs, even if Stayman is a legal and sensible defence: “Is Stayman a sufficient and adequate explanation?”.  🙂

        in reply to: A ruling? #16084
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          John, I think that there are systems where a balanced 15-17 opens 1NT, a balanced 12-14 opens (say) 1♦ and a balanced 18-19 opens (say) 1♣. So a 1♦ opening would be either unbalanced with diamonds or 12-14 balanced and a 1♣ opening would be either unbalanced with clubs or 18-19. These opening should be alerted of course. I have no idea if this was there actual method.

          in reply to: Self alerting above 3NT #16065
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            The sky blue book requirement for alerts/explanations above 3NT on BBO is presumably because this doesn’t transmit any unauthorised information to partner. Is it a good idea to be helpful and alert and explain other bids below 3NT without prompts, such as:

            (1D)-2H = “Weak Jump Overcall”

            1H-1S-1NT = “15-17”

            1H-3C = “Strong”

            I would certainly offer the explanation without being asked and find that opponents also do this, which I find helpful.

            in reply to: Meaning of 1♦-1♥-4♥ #16052
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Yes that makes more sense. 🙂

              5-loser hands will either be strong due to shape and we can splinter or they will have extra high card points for the game raise.

              in reply to: Meaning of 1♦-1♥-4♥ #15978
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Hi Charles, sorry I didn’t intend to give offence. The post was not aimed as a personal attack on you (or anyone else).

                It is reasonable to play a different system, but I was questioning whether the method is sound. Are you bidding 4♥ on a seven-loser hand:

                • As a preempt? There seems to be little need when the opponents have both passed.
                • Because you expect to make? Partner has promised no more than a six count and around nine or ten losers. Let’s adjust the East hand – take away some of partner’s points to give a minimum response: ♠953 ♥10765 ♦Q72 ♣A104. Clearly a four heart contract will fail.

                 

                 

                 

                in reply to: Forum activity #15888
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Excellent. Thank you.

                  in reply to: A ruling? #15792
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    David (2) – “Just for clarity, did you click on the 1C bid to ask specifically the meaning?”

                    No, I relied on the lack of alert / announcement.

                    in reply to: A ruling? #15758
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      Thanks David.

                      It was board 12 of a 22 board club duplicate (with an EBU director).

                      The pair were the leading North / South pair. They don’t usually play at the club so I know of them rather than having personal knowledge, but I think that they play in a group that tends to play some unusual methods where the 1♣/1♦ show different strengths of balanced hands. But to be honest, I still don’t know what their actual methods are.

                      in reply to: Acronyms #15736
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        I tend to type things out in full rather than using acronym. Must be an age thing!

                        The classic acronym is LOL. In modern “text speak” this means “Laugh Out Loud” of course. Some use it to mean “Lots of Love”. I don’t like either of these: the first is annoying (that age thing again!) and the second is a bit mean spirited. If you are going to tell someone that you love them, do you really need short-cuts?

                        But the classic meaning of LOL in bridge writing is “Little Old Lady”. The term is a very nuanced one. It is used by the “young experts” to imply that an opponent is expected to be a bit senile, will bid conservatively, not able to understand complex plays and will be a push-over. The inevitable pay-off of course is that the LOL makes a psyche, then brings home the contract with some exotic squeeze and the young experts are soundly beaten.

                        Of course I first came across the term when I first started plating duplicate bridge – back in my twenties. But the world of bridge has got older. You go to your local club and never find the young experts, but you do find a room full of LOLs. Some are just as wily as they ever were!

                        in reply to: Bidding Quiz 20 #15708
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Sorry ignore that hand – it is flawed!

                          in reply to: Bidding Quiz 20 #15707
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Here is an example hand where you need to lead a heart, before your partner’s ace of hearts disappears on declarer’s club winners. You have four “certain” top tricks, but try making them on a diamond (or club) lead!

                            Capture

                            in reply to: Weak 2s #15693
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Julian will give his thoughts. But, for what It’s worth, here are mine:

                              In 4th seat, a 2S bid is not a weak 5-9 hand. It is constructive – say 9-11 points. This 6511 hand is worth all of that, despite only the eight high card points. You expect the points to be evenly divided around the table and if you give partner a fitting 10-count then game should be good odds.

                              I might have chosen to open one spade, the hand is so strong. But opening two spades is reasonable and you have to bid three hearts to show the second suit.

                              It was unlucky that the hands were misfitting. Partner’s 4S bid was a little odd – a double was likely a better option.

                              in reply to: Unusual response #15692
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                Hi Alan, this sounds like a type of Swiss raise. It’s an idea which has gone out of fashion a bit now that Splinters are so ubiquitous. But the principle is that 4C and 4D show support for the major and show some feature of the hand (such as number of controls, quality of the trumps, points, losers etc.).

                                It’s an idea that is well overdue a comeback. 🙂

                                in reply to: Leading Singletons #15675
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Yes, of course it is right to lead the singleton. This helps show that even when there is a good argument for another lead, the singleton will often work better.

                                  With a better lead and defence, the contract should gave been three off. I should also have doubled.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 1,123 total)