Brian Davies
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
In one partnership we play that a direct three-level bid is competitive and stronger bids to through 2NT. If asked for a name, we would describe as “Reverse Lebensohl*, but we would say what the bid means.
January 11, 2021 at 10:26 pm in reply to: Support for 1 of a major response after a minor opening #18937I think that 4H should promise a very strong hand with close to 19 HCPs. Note that a raise to game based on shape rather than high cards will usually splinter.
The hand in question had a singleton ace, making it a little awkward. But I think that 4H on that hand would be a definite overbid.
What Bernard described as: “Lebensohl Light” is that 2NT is to only play at the three level, so I think that this better explanation is probably the appropriate one. 🙂
Roger, I think that Julian was referring to the non-jump three-level responses (3C and 3D) needing a six-card suits and 2 of the top 3 honours. With a major you would usually bid 2H or 2S to show the positive (with a five-card suit and two top honours).
I would expect a jump response to be a very rare action based on a completely solid self-supporting suit.
2D would be any hand not meeting these criteria.
Thanks David. Most clubs do have a mixed standard and you will usually get some strange actions – like leading the 5 from that holding!
Yes Mark, the spots are all high!
Thanks David for an interesting and thought provoking post.
I would be Interested to know how many pairs played in 3NT? Did they all make it?
I agree David, a 4th best lead looks much more attractive from the five-card suit. I would agree that the 5 is more likely to be a 4th highest lead than a short suit lead But it is not certain and I’m not convinced that the odds of a 4th highest lead are high enough to justify the risk of taking the finesse.
Hi Mark,
Would you rather lead the ♦5 from:
Hand A
â™ Â – J642
♥ – Q642
♦ – 753
♣ – 76
or
Hand B
â™ – 642
♥ – Q642
♦ – K875
♣ – 76
Leading either major in Hand A, with a single honour looks unattractive. We might be breaking open a frozen suit and the heart suit is declarer’s suit. The days when defender’s automatically lead 4th highest from the longest and strongest suit have passed. In particular, leading the fourth highest card from a four-card suit, headed by one honour is considered a bad idea by most. For this reason, many will not lead the ♦5 on Hand B.
Will everyone be in 3NT? That isn’t my experience. Some might investigate a slam. Some might even bid a slam. Some might be worried about their club holding and choose 5♣. Some will be timid and stop in 2♣, 3♣ or 4♣. Then there is is always one bonkers East/West pair who enters the auction and goes five-off! It is a rare board where every pair in a club plays in the same contract!
I will be interested to see David post the full board and other results.
Yes, a 4-4 fit is usually better and sometimes a 4-4 fit even plays better than a 5-4 fit!
But it isn’t always the case and five trump’s can provide some protection against a bad break. But overall, I would always favour the 4-4 fit.
This might be a nightmare whatever you choose to open. I’m a little surprised at your answer Julian. It will be even more difficult to show your three suits when you start at the three level.
But I concede that it might be difficult to catch up if you open 1C. Three-suited hands are just difficult.
Ok. This isn’t usually described as a negative double (or Sputnik double). A negative double occurs when partner opens and RHO overalls. This is double is a standard take out double because partner hasn’t yet bid. It will promise at least opening values.
But both opponents have shown values and are unlimited. Given this, partner will often have little or nothing and it is a very risky seat to double. The opponents are in a forcing auction, so you will get another bid if they happen to stop low.
Even if you compete, the opponents are likely to win the auction and they will know a lot about your strength and shape when they play the contract.
That is why Bernard advises passing.
Hi John,
I didn’t see your post before I posted mine, but I agree with most of the comments.
I don’t think that 6â™ is unreasonable and I would want to be in it. I would attempt to establish the club suit and get a nasty shock when they break 5-2. We might still scrape home – but gets messy!
Most would not open 3♦ with the East hand. (1) It is not good practice to preempt when you also hold a four-card major. Partner will not look for a spade fit after a 3♦ opening. (2) With eight points and a 7420 distribution, the East hand looks a bit too good for a preempt. Some might open 1♦ with the East hand!
Personally, I would pass as East and open a simple 1♣ as West. The auction would start: Pass-1♣-1♦-2♠-3♠. You are in a game-forcing auction and have agreed spades at the three level. You can then use your partnership slam bidding methods (cue bids, RKCB, Exclusion Blackwood(?) etc.) and should be able to reach 6♠.
The rule to not under-lead an ace outside trumps. One of the reasons is that if declarer or dummy holds a singleton you might find that your ace is ruffed and you never make it! This doesn’t apply in the trump suit of course (or a No Trump contract, where it is common to under-lead an ace).
Imagine that your opponents have an eight-card trump suit and you hold an ace:
- You have a single ace, partner has four: it is usually best not to lead this suit, but it can sometimes be right to avoid an end-play.
- You have ace doubleton, partner has three: the best way to draw trumps and stop declarer ruffing is to play ace and then a small trump. You hope that partner will gain the lead next and draw a third round. Leading low risks a possible end-play.
- You have ace to three, partner has two: now it is usually better to lead a low trump. Then if either you or partner gain the lead you can play ace and a third round of trumps. If you start with the ace of trumps, then a small trump, partner will not have a third trump to play if he/she gets the lead.
- You have ace to four, partner has a singleton: it is usually best not to lead this suit because you want declarer to ruff and lose trump control. You would often prefer to lead your side’s long suit. But if you were leading trumps, a small trump is probably more flexible.
Of course, all of these rules will sometimes have exceptions …
-
AuthorPosts