Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Penalty Pass? #27416
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      Yes, I passed too, although not so much to warn partner – she is almost certainly passing anything I do.

      I strongly suspected that 1♦ might make, but it seemed the least worst option. As it happened, we defeated the contract by one trick:

      Capture

      in reply to: Second Double for penalties #27415
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        yes, pretty much what I guessed.

        in reply to: Second Double for penalties #27407
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Hi Charles,

          I agree with David, from the table talk it seems that both opponents viewed the second double as penalties and should have been alerted.

          But I would be interested to see the West hand, which made the penalty double and how it differed from the West hand which made the takeout double on the first round. I am guessing that West held a very strong  balanced hand – too strong to overcall 1NT, so doubled intending to follow up with a no trump bid? This seems to be the only hand consistent with this action.

          in reply to: Opening in the Fourth Seat #27404
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            Charles, the Kaplan & Rubens Hand Evaluator is probably better suited for suit evaluation than NT evaluation, but it does give support to your judgement that the North hand in Eleanor’s original post is not worth an invite opposite a 1NT opening. It downgrades the hand – only valuing as 10.45.

            in reply to: Opening in the Fourth Seat #27402
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Amusingly, one of the pairs who passed it out play a mini no trump (10-12), so the hand is top of their range! But it is actually easier for them because they know that West cannot have as much as a 10-count.

              in reply to: A defence problem #27401
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Hi Nik, You are South at the bottom and East is dummy, on your right. Declared is unseen on the left and partner is unseen at the top.

                Brian, Partner will show a doubleton …

                in reply to: Opening in the Fourth Seat #27377
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  A hand from last night.

                  Capture

                  Assuming three passes, East has a hand which met the “Rule of 15”, but it really is one of the ugliest 12-counts imaginable. Two pairs passed it out, but several opened scoring -300 at three tables. Another case where a bridge “Rule” should be described as a “Guideline”.

                  in reply to: Responding 2S to partner’s opening 1NT #27364
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    One idea is to play 2♠ as either a range enquiry or clubs and 2NT as a transfer to diamonds.

                    So 2♠ is either 11-12 or 18+ or a club suit.

                    in reply to: Should I have opened 2NT #27363
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      Joy, on the first hand, I would comment that opening 2NT with a singleton king can sometimes have an unexpected benefit. If your left hand opponent has long spades headed by the ace, they will usually lead a small spade against 2NT or 3NT and your king will win  a trick that it was never destined to make!

                      in reply to: Prize Quiz Play 17.5.21 #27332
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        This Prize Quiz is still live, so I won’t comment on the bidding.

                        I agree that Q Plus made a rather strange play, but I don’t think it makes any difference to the total number of tricks if you play it through. There is no useful discard.

                        in reply to: Opening 1NT (weak) with only 10 points #27314
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          This is a Laws and Ethics forum and David’s expert opinion deals with this.

                          But I would like to suggest that light 1NT openings in third seat is not good bridge. I would have the opposite strategy in third seat and will be fully up to strength when opening 1NT. I am all for opening light in a suit in third seat, particularly if the suit quality is good and I want the suit led. But a light 1NT opening is an invitation for the fourth player to double and rather risky for this reason.

                          in reply to: 1NT Opening Doubled by Partner #27288
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            I would bid 2S, showing a weak hand (fewer than about 4 HCPs) and 5 or more spades.

                            But I can see an argument for 3S. The trouble is that partner might be misfitting.

                            in reply to: Weak Stayman after 2NT opener? #27259
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              The problem is that there is less space after a two-level opening because you are starting a level higher. You also need a method to show a hand with this shape that wants to play in game.

                              I am sure that Julian will reply soon enough with his recommendation.

                              in reply to: Set Hand 6 – Ruffing #27258
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                Well done Angela!

                                in reply to: Weak Stayman after 2NT opener? #27210
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Hi Dave, Can I clarify: are you playing regular Stayman? (Rather than say, Five-card Stayman, Puppet Stayman etc.).

                                Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,123 total)