Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Claimimg #32858
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      David’s Wild West description of BBO friendly bridge is depressing, but probably accurate:

      My advice is:

      • On BBO, it is often quicker, easier and less contentious if you play it out, rather than claiming.
      • If you do claim. The laws require that you should state your line of play. You will avoid problems if you do this. I know that is slower to type the line of play – that is why I recommend that you normally play it out.
      • But it shouldn’t take long to type: “cross-ruffing” or “drawing trump’s” or “taking the marked finesse”
      • Don’t take casual bridge on BBO too seriously.
      in reply to: OGUST after a takeout double by opposition #32710
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        Nik,

        Redouble should suggest a holding that wishes to make a penalty double of the opponents’ response, so it will tend to be short in spades. With three-card support, we might want to bid constructively, in which case, it would appropriate to inquire with a 2NT Ogust bid. The vulneranility will also be a factor in choosing whether to bid constructively or look for penalties.

         

        in reply to: Search the site? #32705
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Steve,

          As I stated in my very first reply, takeout doubles have not been covered as a Big Seminar or as a subject in the Live Presentations. This is a tricky one to search as some authors use “Take Out”, some use “Take-out” and some use “Takeout” (I am not sure which is correct, but since takeout is a dictionary word, I use that). In addition, you might find “Double” or “Doubling”. Combining these, I carried out a search and confirmed that the topic occurs in forum topics and replies but not in the Seminars and Live presentations:

          Capture1

           

          If instead, I search on a topic which has been covered such as competitive doubles (which is a form of takeout double), I get a greater variety of responses:

          Capture

          Now the search returns one Big Seminar and two charity seminars as well as a number of forum posts. The screenshot shows “All”, but you could filter on “Seminars (1)”, which will return the Big Seminar only.

          The Quizzes and hands of the Week are difficult because the only text for the search engine to find is the title – which by definition doesn’t give away the answer!

          in reply to: Hand 10 from last night – SPOILER for LIVE #32638
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            To mute lobby chat:

            Capture (10)

            1. Select the Account tab on the right
            2. Select Settings at the top of this right hand section
            3. Scroll down to the Chat section and ensure that the Show Lobby Chat option is unselected
            in reply to: Hand 10 from last night – SPOILER for LIVE #32593
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              John, I haven’t played in the Acol club for a few years. But I seem to remember that even in the Acol club, the score were compared across BBO – not just within the club?

              in reply to: Tricky Auction #32402
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Our 1NT rebid range is 15-18. The range is already pretty wide and I am reluctant to include 14½ points. But the five card suits and intermediates probably make this a 15 count, so on reflection, maybe 1♣-1♥-1NT rebid is best.

                in reply to: Being asked to rearrange cards as dummy #32371
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  I quite often find that certain defenders have a habit of fiddling with dummy – straightening suits that were already pretty straight with all cards clearly visible, that sort of thing. This doesn’t usually merit any comment. But one particular defender was so obsessive about straightening and rearranging the suits that it was becoming a bit irritating. I finally lost patience when she moved a suit mid-hand, because dummy had now become void in the suit and she wanted the suits re-ordered so that they resumed her red-black red requirement!

                  in reply to: Superstrong bid responses #32369
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Steve, Bernard covered this back in the Friday Live series on Weak Two’s. The fourth of these live presentations (11th September 2020) moved it onto the Benji strong openings (2C and 2D).

                    in reply to: Tricky Auction #32358
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      A link on Third Suit Forcing: Third Suit Forcing

                      in reply to: Continuations After a Reverse #32307
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        Thanks Julian.

                        Yes, I hadn’t spotted that 4S can make! Looking at it, I think that she went wrong at trick one, when she ducked the trump lead and North led back a heart. She later finessed for North to hold the queen of clubs.

                        in reply to: Discussion Hand – New Suit at the Three Level #32293
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Thanks all, for some thoughtful responses.

                          Stephen is correct that the sequence 1H-2H-3C is a game try and cannot by definition be game forcing. In this sequence opener will either be balanced or have a five-card heat suit. If opener is balanced, the correct game try will be 2NT. If unbalanced, there will be an eight-card heart fit and no reason to play in a club contract.

                          The sequence 1D-1H-2H-3C is a little different because responder might bid a major rather than a longer minor and so might bid 3C as a game try with only a four-card major. But I guess that Opener’s three-card raises are less common in Acol, so maybe I shouldn’t worry too much about them.

                          in reply to: NO TRUMPS #32290
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            It depends a little bit on the minimum strength of an overcall. But since a 1S overcall can be weaker than a 1S opening, you need a bit more for a 1NT response. In my partnership, I would expect about 9-11 HCPs.

                            in reply to: Continuations After a Reverse #32266
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Yes, forcing to game – particularly after a reverse.

                              in reply to: Scoring of doubled contracts making #32264
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                David has it right. Doubling a contract carries a reward if you defeat a contract and the reward grows, the more tricks that you set it by. The flip-side is that there is a penalty if you double and the contract succeeds. The penalty increases with each over-trick.

                                in reply to: Is this forcing? #32239
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  I think that Bernard plays it as forcing and offering a choice of game. I tried to find a hand, but couldn’t locate it. Certainly in my partnerships it is forcing.

                                  I am not a fan of 3C as artificial (I think they call it a Wolff sign off?). The problem comes when the opening bid is 1C in a four-card major system, because we might want to bid a natural 3C to suggest that a club slam might be a possibility. This is less of a problem playing five-card majors, because the 1C opening is frequently short.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,123 total)