Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Benji 2C opener with a long minor #41689
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      Personally, I wouldn’t open a Benji 2C with this particular hand. Benji with a minor is never great, because you only show your suit at the three level. Benji with a minor and a four-card major side suit is stretching the system a bit much. I would simply open 1C, because that will never be passed out when you have so much distribution and it gives you space to develop the auction.

      Having opened 2C, you strike lucky as long as partner responds with a 2D relay, not a 3D “positive”. The auction would start 2C-2D-3C-4C. Now clubs are agreed and the auction is forcing and you can use your favourite slam methods to identify that the ace of spades is missing and bid the small slam.

      in reply to: Bidding to slam #41270
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        I seem to remember that Bernard suggested the jump to 3x should set the suit allowing 4NT to be a key-card enquiry, allowing a transfer then 4NT to be quantitative. So that:

        • 1NT-3H-3NT-4NT should be a key-card ask.
        • 1NT-2D-2H-4NT should be quantitative.

        Is this a reasonable agreement?

        in reply to: Can We Reach a Club Slam? #41254
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Sorry Julian, the hand was actually played face to face at home, so the hand was (mis-)typed in. It should be:

          Capture

           

          in reply to: Posting screen dumps from BBO in forums #41163
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            There should be various icons above the post screen: B I “ etc.

            The last of these looks like a picture of a mountain and allows you import a picture.

            in reply to: Posting screen dumps from BBO in forums #41159
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Are you on PC? There is a Windows utility called “Snip”, which allows you to capture screen shots.

              in reply to: Bidding to slam #41143
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Would 1NT-3D be a reasonable alternative Julian? If played as a strong single suiter?

                in reply to: Friday 15th Live Broadcast #41049
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  It is a Competitive Double. As a general principle, you don’t get rich trying to extract penalties from low level contracts, so it makes sense to play all such doubles as essentially takeout (Competitive). I suggest that doubles of no trump contracts are penalties, but unless you have specifically agreed a low-level double of a suit bid as a penalty a double, it should be takeout.

                  in reply to: Friday 15th Live Broadcast #41008
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    The partner of the overcaller is usually called the Advancer and I would describe the bid as a change-of-suit response by the Advancer. This will show  five-card spade suit. There is a very simple way of showing a four-card spade suit: a double at this level is surely a takeout double and since spades is the only unbid suit, it must show four spades (and likely diamond support or tolerance).

                    So I disagree with Bernard when he says that the choice is between Pass, Two Diamonds and One Spade. Double is surely a possible bid – I would go as far as describing it as the standard bid!

                    But I do fully agree with Bernard in his assessment that it is more important to suggest a good lead in this situation than to attempt to bid constructively. I would bid one spade, knowing that it is a small lie, but it is surely the most practical bid. Double would be my second choice.

                    in reply to: How would you bid this? #41000
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      I played at one club, which had a belt and braces approach. They had electronic scoring AND a paper traveller … just in case!

                      in reply to: 12 red cards! #40921
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        I find this very difficult Brian and I have a lot of sympathy with you. But I am picturing a misfit rather more often than you are, because someone has the black suits. If your opponents have lots of black suit cards and lots of points, I would expect them to bid. Their silence suggests that either your partner has the black suit cards (a misfit) or your partner has some points (he will bid). I can’t account for your opponents’ silence on this hand – did you check for a pulse?

                        For me, a jump shift by opener is a very strong action, It is 100% forcing to game and is usually based on 19 or a good 18 High Card Points. Whilst I would be prepared to reduce this a bit for additional shape, the jump shift should also promise some defensive strength in my opinion. I would not use the Losing Trick Count until we found a fit.

                        So yes, this is difficult because the hands fit extremely well together and the opponents’ suits break evenly, but I would bid 1H-1S-2D and think that South is closer to a 3D raise (four-card support and a singleton), than North is to a 3D rebid.

                        But it is an interesting hand and might merit a question to Julian?

                        in reply to: Penalty double? #40913
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          If you are playing with this partner regularly, this is something that you need to agree with each other as some players will expect it to be penalties and others will expect takeout. The possibilities are:

                          • Penalties. Bernard recommends this and if you are partnering another BMB member it is probably reasonable to assume this as a default. All that you can do is pass with your hand.
                          • Takeout. In my experience, the majority of players play it as takeout and I would assume this as a default unless playing with a BMB member. Your hand is perfect for this action.
                          • A third option, if you play Lebensohl, is to play that double shows an invitational strength hand that would have bid 2NT in an uncontested auction. The double is essentially a takeout double, but promises invitational strength. You would of course need to discuss and agree that with your partner. Your hand is a little weak for this action, because partner might jump to 3NT with a 14-count and ♠AQ doubleton (say), but the shape is good and I might risk it.

                           

                          in reply to: 12 red cards! #40902
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Partner will give preference with 2H, with either hand.

                            Also, opps have 25 points and a nine or ten-card fit, but they are silent?

                            in reply to: 12 black cards #40900
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              I would also double.

                              I am surprised that your partner bid clubs. With a likely double stop in diamonds, I would bid 2NT. You bid 3C, then partner “might” gamble 3NT, which would be interesting.

                              in reply to: 12 red cards! #40894
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                I bid it: 1H-1S-2D. I’m not seriously considering any other options.

                                I know that 2D is non-forcing, but my partner will rarely pass this auction and the opponents’ silence is telling. We don’t have any indication of a fit yet, so I want to preserve as much space as possible to investigate the best strain.

                                I expect third third round of bidding to be more challenging (but maybe you are going to tell me that there wasn’t a third round?).

                                in reply to: A Declarer Play Problem at Pairs #40705
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Thanks Brian. Now I see the point that you are making!

                                Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 1,123 total)