Brian Davies

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2NT response #51470
    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
    Participant

      Just out of interest Julian, if you were playing Acol with inverted raises in the minors, would you choose to respond 3C (only four clubs) or 1D?

      Thanks

      in reply to: Opening Bid #51434
      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
      Participant

        Julian seems to have missed the second part of this question.

        I would respond 2D if playing inverted minor suit raises, but if not the choice would be a manufactured 2C on the three-card suit or simply responding 3NT.

        in reply to: 2NT response #51432
        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
        Participant

          Do you know anything about the rest of their system, John? How many clubs were promised by the 1C opening? Does their system include inverted raises in the minors?

          in reply to: Weak 2 and Ogust response #51410
          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
          Participant

            Hi David,

            Is there a minimum strength to agree to bid 2NT as Ogust (or feature ask)?

            Coleen’s actual 14-point hand is a judgement.  But would it be acceptable to describe the bid as Ogust if Coleen had 10 points and a bit of shape?

            Thanks

            in reply to: Explanation? #51285
            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
            Participant

              Thanks David. This is interesting.

              in reply to: Explanation? #50678
              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
              Participant

                Hi David, I sometimes come across players playing methods similar to Brian’s, who alert rather than announce the 1C and when asked will reply: “Clubs or a balanced 12-14”. Is this (more) appropriate?

                Thanks

                in reply to: Should I double, pass or bid something here? #49941
                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                Participant

                  Brian Powell gives some good advice above.

                  You are asking partner to make a choice. Your partner will not choose to pass unless holding some length in hearts and this is impossible given the bidding. Your partner will bid their longest suit and this is most likely to be clubs, so the 4C bid should not be a surprise!

                  The other thing to consider is that partner is short in hearts, so must have length in one or more of the other suits. Yet she chose to pass 1H and chose to pass 3H after you doubled, so you should not expect her to hold much – in particular she might have stretched to bid 3S if holding a four-card spade suit. So she either doesn’t have spades or is very weak.

                  Hearts is your best suit and you should be very happy defending 3H.

                  Finally 3NT shouldn’t make unless North holds a very unlikely KQx in clubs.

                  in reply to: Opener Rebids Suit at the Four-level #49808
                  Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                  Participant

                    Yes 1D-1S-4D is defined for us but 1H-1S-4H has never been discussed and “redundant ” is probably right.

                    Thanks Bernard

                    in reply to: Should I double, pass or bid something here? #49796
                    Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                    Participant

                      My philosophy in these situations is that you have the same hand for the second double as you do for the first, which was takeout. So you won’t have a pure penalty double. The second double is generally taken to mean “I have extra values”. It wouldn’t usually  include the hand-type which is too strong for a 1NT overcall, your  more usual choice with that hand-type is to simply bid NT, or pass if the bidding is now uncomfortably high. But I suppose that a double is possible if you have tolerance for all of the other suits.

                      Although the second double is still a takeout double, partner is more likely to pass and convert the double into penalties – particularly if she has some length in their suit.

                      in reply to: Opener Rebids Suit at the Four-level #49590
                      Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                      Participant

                        Thanks Bernard. Not a silly idea then! 🙂

                        Does it need to be two doubletons?

                        AK43

                        AKJT43

                        32

                        4

                        Is it more useful to show the source of tricks? Or the singleton?

                        in reply to: definition of 1NT opener #49468
                        Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                        Participant

                          Thanks David

                          in reply to: definition of 1NT opener #49257
                          Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                          Participant

                            Hi David,

                            Am I right in thinking that this is the definition for level 4 (the usual level) but singletons are not allowed at level 2 (some clubs aimed at novices play level 2)?

                            I am intrigued that 5332 is deemed semi-balanced – I had always understood this to be generally considered as balanced. In what context is the term used?

                            Thanks

                            in reply to: Stayman #49247
                            Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                            Participant

                              Sorry, Bernard has also now replied but I couldn’t see his reply when I posted mine!

                              in reply to: Stayman #49246
                              Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                              Participant

                                I think that Julian answered Colin’s question in a separate post: http://blog.bernardmageebridge.com/forums/topic/stayman-4/

                                I might have replied to Colin, but I couldn’t see this post initially for some reason. I hope that this is simple enough for the BMB Novice Forum?:

                                (1) Almost everyone plays that Stayman applies after 1NT and 2NT  openings and whenever no trumps are bid with no suit bid naturally. So these club bids are all Stayman:

                                • 1NT-(Pass)-2C
                                • 2NT-(Pass)-3C
                                • 2C-(Pass)-2D-(Pass); 2NT-(Pass)-3C  – where 2C is a strong bid and 2D is a negative (or relay) bid.

                                (2) After a no-trump overcall, most people agree to play “System On”, which means that Stayman and transfers apply. I would expect “System On”  to be the default if there is no other agreement and the club bids will be Stayman in each of these sequences:

                                • (1D)-1NT-(Pass)-2C
                                • (1D)-Pass-(Pass)-1NT; (Pass)-2C
                                • (2H)-2NT-(Pass)-3C

                                (3) Stayman does not apply if either of us have bid a suit naturally. Neither of these club bids are Stayman:

                                • 1D-(Pass)-1NT-(Pass); 2C
                                • 1C-(Pass)-1S-(Pass); 1NT-(Pass)-2C

                                (Note: Some more experienced players sometimes have an artificial meaning for the last sequence, but it is not Stayman and since this is the Novice forum I suggest that this should be natural).

                                in reply to: Forcing 2N? #49231
                                Brian DaviesBrian Davies
                                Participant

                                  Hi Julian,

                                  How often will you raise 1D-1H-2H on a three-card suit?

                                  I think that it is because 2H might be only a three-card suit that 2NT is useful as natural. Is this correct?

                                  Thanks

                                Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,123 total)